When I lived at home my mum would always make a starter of halved avocado filled with prawns and a garlic French dressing for special occasions. I decided to bring this starter up to date by fanning the slices onto a plate and using Balsamic instead of white wine vinegar and walnut instead of olive oil. The marriage of avocado, prawns, garlic and balsamic vinegar are a match made in heaven. I hadn’t made this dish for years and on giving it to my husband for lunch the other day he was extremely pleased and said “this really works”. If you can push the boat out for the Walnut Oil it’s well worth it as it goes so well and I also use it to make cakes with instead of olive oil, otherwise just use olive oil! (I must admit I bought mine in a sale!) I think this makes the perfect light lunch or would be great as a starter at Christmas and any leftover dressing is excellent on salad. There is probably enough dressing for 8 servings if you are scaling this recipe up.
I was also sent the Oxo Good Grips 3-in-1 avocado slicer this week and it worked a treat. It cuts, it de-stones and it slices, a fab new gadget!
I am entering this dish into Javelin Warrior’s Made with Love Mondays Challenge.
First make the dressing by shaking all the ingredients together.
Then prepare the avocado.
Arrange the avlocado slices in a fan shape.
Arrange the prawn on top and pour on the dressing.
Enjoy with some buttered wholemeal bread!
- 1 Avocado
- 60g Frozen prawns (thawed)
- For Balsamic Dressing:
- 4 Tbsp Walnut oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 Small pinches sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground pepper
- Put all the dressing ingredients into a salad dressing shaker, season to taste and shake vigorously.
- Prepare avocado by cutting in half, removing stone, skinning and cutting into slices.
- Arrange avocado slices on plates or small dishes.
- Decorate with the prawns and then pour over as much dressing as you wish.
- Serve with buttered wholemeal bread.
Disclaimer: I was sent the Oxo Good Grips 3 in 1 Slicer and have not received any payment from Oxo.