At this time of year there’s nothing better than a comforting slow cooked casserole to come home to. One of my absolute favourites is Boeuf Bourguignon for its rich depth of flavour from the ruby notes of the red wine, the caramelised onions and the meatiness from the beef and bacon. So when I was asked to try out Knorr’s Rich Beef Stock Pot using a Seasonal Box from Forman & Field I jumped at the chance. I already use Knorr’s stock cubes and liquid stock so was interested to use their latest innovation; I’ve watched Marco Pierre White extolling their virtues almost every time I switch on the TV!
I ended up cooking this dish (my take on Marco’s version) for my mother-in-law’s birthday and though at first reluctant to come straight from work for a meal once she heard it was Boeuf Bourguignon she was very willing. Her verdict was “delicious” as was ours and she was so pleased she’d come. I’d never used Knorr’s Rich Beef Stock Pot before and I must say it added an extra depth of beef flavour over and above other stocks.
For great tips, recipes and videos from Marco Pierre White visit www.knorr.co.uk
The best news is that one lucky reader can win the same Seasonal Box from Forman and Field courtesy of Knorr which provides all the ingredients for Marco’s Boeuf Bourguignon recipe or you can make my slow cooked version or your own. Included in the box are:
800g beef brisket
½ leek (the white part)
mild cure bacon
Bolney Estate Lychgate Red wine
For your chance to win simply fill in the Rafflecopter below. The prize can only be delivered on Friday 16 November so if this is not convenient please do not enter!
Start by frying the cubed beef in small batches until browned.
Then fry the bacon strips.
Now fry the onions, leek and garlic slices.
Add the beef & bacon back to the pan and stir in flour, cook for 1 minute.
Add the wine, port and bouquest garni.
Then add the Knorr beef stock pot diluted in boiling water and transfer to slow cooker.
10 minutes before serving make garnish by frying bacon until crisp.
Then fry the mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
Remove crock pot from slow cooker.
Garnish and serve.
- 3 tbsp Light olive oil
- 800g / 1lb 12oz Brisket/stewing steak (trimmed & cubed)
- 1 Rasher unsmoked bacon, sliced
- ½ Leek, chopped (white part only)
- 20 Pearl onions (frozen fine if thawed)
- 2 Cloves garlic, sliced
- 50g / 2oz Plain flour
- 1 Bouquet Garnet (tie together ¼ stick celery, Bay leaf, few sprigs thyme & parsley)
- 375ml / 13fl oz Red wine, full bodied
- 125ml / 4fl oz Port (optional)
- 1 Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pot
- 375ml / 13fl oz Boiling water
- For Garnish:
- 200g Wild mushrooms
- 2 Rashers unsmoked bacon, sliced
- Put the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the beef in small batches for 3 – 4 minutes until browned turning occasionally.
- With a slotted spoon put the cooked beef in the crock pot.
- Fry the bacon slices in the remaining oil for a few minutes until golden then add to the crock pot with slotted spoon.
- Add the onions, leeks and garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes stirring all the time.
- Add the beef back to the pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the red wine, port and bouquet garni and bring to the boil.
- Dissolve one Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pot into 375ml of boiling water then add to pan.
- Transfer everything to the crockpot and slow cook High 6 – 8 hrs or Low 8 – 10 hrs.
- Ten minutes before serving make the garnish by frying the remaining bacon strips until lightly browned, strain them off and add the wild mushrooms to the pan. They only need a minute or two.
- Remove crock pot from slow cooker and give it a good stir and then apply garnish.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a medley of vegetables.
How to enter:
Complete the Rafflecopter form below to confirm your entries made via blog comments, Twitter, etc.
This giveaway will close on 12/11/2012.
Please read the Terms and Conditions below.
Winners are announced on the Rafflecopter form after the prize has been claimed by the winner.
First timers: Please watch how Rafflecopter works (video)! It is 46 seconds long. It explains everything.
If no form is showing, hit refresh and it should appear.
Complete the form – or your entries will not go into the draw.
Mandatory entries need to be completed first – so leave a blog comment before you try and complete any of the other methods of entry.
Do you want more chances to win? Come back daily after tweeting about the giveaway and fill the form in again.
Terms and conditions:
Only open to UK participants over the age of 18.
There is 1 prize of a Seasonal Box from Forman & Field. There’s no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
Instructions form part of the terms and conditions. Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will obviously be disqualified. The winner will be picked at random using software and then contacted by email. If you win and then don’t respond to this email within 2 days then another winner will be picked. The prize will be delivered to the winner on 16 November.
I am running this giveaway on behalf of Knorr who will be responsible for sending the prize to you if you win. Their decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
Please don’t say you have liked the post and followed me on Twitter and Tweeted if you haven’t as I will check and fairness is my middle name!
NB: All the views in this post are my own and I have not received any payment from Knorr.