I was recently invited by Sainsbury’s to share my Signature Dish as they are running a Kitchen Heroes competition where “by Sainsburys” staples come to the rescue. I am the world’s worst meal planner and although I can see 2 or 3 days ahead after that I just tend to wing it; thats when I fall back on recipes which rely on staples from my cupboards and a few fresh ingredients that I always seem to have lurking in the fridge. With this in mind I knew that it was time to showcase my Chilli, Bacon and Chickpea Pasta which I regularly make so you could say it was one of my signature dishes (does anyone just have one)? Everyone loves this dish in my house and over the years my daughter has learned to embrace the chilli flavour which when she was a lot smaller she used to complain about and leave it to go cold before she would eat it. I did hear once that if you eat something 20 times you will like it so persevere mums out there!
As this dish is made with inexpensive staples I am entering it into Credit Crunch Munch which is run my myself and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and being hosted by Janice at Farmersgirl Kitchen this month. I am also entering this dish into Herbs on Saturday which is run by Karen at Lavender & Lovage and hosted this month by Anneli at Delicioux.
- 1 tbsp Light olive oil
- 1 Large onion, finely sliced
- 1 Celery stick, finely diced
- 1 Carrot, finely diced
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Hot chilli powder
- 4 Rashers back bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1 x 400g Tin Italian Plum Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 x 400g Tin Chickpeas
- 140 mls/ ¼ pt Water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 350g/14 oz Penne
- In a large wok sized pan sweat the onions, celery, carrot and garlic for about 10 minutes (under a lid) stirring at intervals until softened not browned.
- Add chilli powder and bacon and fry until cooked (5 - 6 mins) stirring frequently until bacon cooked.
- Add tomato puree, tomatoes, chickpeas, basil, seasoning and water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the penne according to the instructions.
- Once cooked pour the penne into the sauce and mix well.
- Serve with some grated parmesan or cheddar and a salad.
NB: I received a Sainsbury’s voucher for my ingredients and sharing my recipe.