It’s autumn which means it’s very much soup weather and every soup deserves a good helping of crusty bread. My Easy Cheesy Jalapeno Soda Bread takes just minutes to prepare and is the perfect soup accompaniment or is great as part of a cold table. If you’ve never made soda bread the only thing you need to be aware of is to get the dough into the oven as quickly as possible as the gases start being released from the raising agents as soon as you add the liquid (in this case beer).
Cheddar and chillies are such great bed fellows so this Easy Cheesy Jalapeno Soda Bread didn’t last long and was devoured at one sitting. So the next time you run out of bread I recommend you make soda bread as it’ll be ready before you could pop out to the shops to buy some!
- 270g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 35g red and green jalapenos, chopped
- 200 mls beer/ale
- Preheat oven to 190ºC.
- Prepare a baking sheet by sprinkling with flour.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Add the grated Cheddar and jalapenos giving another mix with fork.
- Then stir in the beer until mixture comes together as a dough.
- Use you hands (oiled) to form into a ball.
- Place on the baking sheet, pat down and dust with flour.
- Use a knife to cut a deep cross into the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until base sounds hollow when knocked.
- Cool on a wire rack.
For more savoury soda bread recipes you might like the following:
Wholemeal Cheddar & Apple Chutney Soda Bread with Cider – Fab Food 4 All
Emmental Soda Bread – Fab Food 4 All
Malted Spelt Soda Bread – Kavey Eats
Caramelised Red Onion & Cheddar Soda Bread – Munchies & Munchkins
Quick & Easy Olive Soda Bread Rolls – Munchies & Munchkins
Roasted Pepper & Thyme Soda Bread – BakingQeeen74
Why not pin for later?