After buying ready prepared dried Mediterranean Vegetable Couscous for a while I realised that it was a piece of cake to make my own and far more economical and more nutritious. It was also a way of getting my family more interested in eating their pan fried salmon steaks which for years they’d had with boiled new potatoes and vegetables. Now I serve them with Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce and the Mediterranean Vegetable Couscous which goes down a treat. No more bored faces! You can of course serve this side dish with any meat or fish of your own choice.
Fry the vegetables while the couscous is “cooking”.
- 200g / 9oz Couscous
- 275 ml / 10floz Vegetable/chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Red onion, finely chopped
- Large handful button mushrooms, quartered
- Large handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Soften the onion and garlic for 5 minutes on a low heat, stirring regularly.
- Make up the couscous by pouring on the boiling hot stock and leaving covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and green pepper and fry stirring continually until the mushroom start to colour – about 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and add to the vegetables, mixing well.
- Season and serve with meat or fish.