To celebrate the release of Hotel Transylvania 2 which is out now on Digital HD and on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray & DVD 15th February I was asked to create a pancake recipe for Shrove Tuesday, so I came up with these scary Monster Pancakes. If you’d like to know more about the film here’s a brief synopsis: “The Hotel Transylvania sequel reunites ‘Drac’s Pack’ of loveable characters, led by “Vampa” Drac (Adam Sandler, Grown-Ups) as they try to put Mavis (Selena Gomez, Spring Breakers) and Johnny’s (Andy Samberg, TV’s “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”) son Dennis through a “monster-in-training” boot camp to bring out his vampire side. But little do they know that Drac’s grumpy and very old, old, old school dad Vlad (comedy legend Mel Brooks) is about to pay the family a visit. And when Vlad finds out that his great-grandson is not a pure blood and humans are now welcome at Hotel Transylvania, it doesn’t take long for things to get batty!
With half term coming up it seems like the perfect time to give your kids a treat and keep them entertained at the same time! And talking of treats, back to these Monster Pancakes which are made using coconut oil for a lovely twist, they have a lovely delicate coconut flavour which is just about detectable. Kids will love decorating these Monster Pancakes with scary, weird faces made from fruit and various toppings. Taking control of food is often a great way for kids to eat new things. My daughter only recently realised that she didn’t dislike kiwi fruit. Calling slices of fruit “googly eyes” makes little ones a lot keener to eat them (although this didn’t work on my hubby as nothing will tempt him to eat a blueberry, so he had his pancake minus blueberries).
My family loved these pancakes and my daughter got really excited about the sprinkles in particular (she’s earmarked them for her next bake). I do hope you make these Monster Pancakes for you family as I’m sure they’ll have great fun creating their own scary faces and best of all they’ll be getting some of their 5-a-Day in a fun way.
- 110g Plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Large eggs
- 200 mls Semi-skimmed milk mixed with 75 mls water
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil (melted)
- Extra coconut oil for frying
- Suggested toppings:
- Blueberries, a few halved
- Strawberries, sliced
- Banana, sliced
- Kiwi fruit, sliced
- Tube of Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Golden or Maple Syrup
- Dessert sprinkles
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs.
- Whisk, slowly incorporating the flour from the sides.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and water mixture to form the batter.
- Just before you want to cook the pancakes whisk in the coconut oil.
- In a large non-stick frying pan heat a teaspoon of coconut oil on a high heat and then turn down to a medium heat.
- Pour the oil into small vessel.
- Pour enough batter into the frying pan (whilst tipping in a circle) to cover the base.
- Cook through until small bubbles appear on the surface and base turns golden (you can lift the side to check).
- Flip pancake and cook for about another 30 seconds until golden.
- Repeat with the rest of the pancake mixture, stacking the pancakes on top of each other as you go.
- Place the pancakes on the table and allow your diners to assemble their monster pancakes.
- Squeezy chocolate hazelnut spread forms a great “denture grip” for the monster teeth which can be squeezed half way around the edge of the pancake.
- Place fruit teeth in the spread and fill the pancake with more fruit if wished.
- Fold over the pancake (allowing the monster teeth to show) and make monster faces using the suggested toppings.
- Serve with ice cream if wished.
Check out this amazing pancake video by Saipancakes featuring the main characters from Hotel Transylvania 2! if you’d like to have a go at monster-themed pancake art yourself, please share on social using the hashtag #HotelT2Pancakes.
Here’s my attempt at pancake art, some bats from the movie – need more practice and better equipment I think!
For more pancake day inspiration you might like the following:
Raspberry & Buttermilk Pancake Stack – Feeding Boys
Monster Pancakes (video) – Taming Twins
Chocolate & Rye Pancakes – Food to Glow
Pancakes with Personality – A Mummy Too
Hotel Transylvania 2 is out now on Digital HD and on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray & DVD 15th February
NB: This is a commissioned post.