I’m always trying to make sure my family gets a weekly dose or two of oily fish as they are said to help protect us against cardiovascular disease, prostate cancer, age-related vision loss and dementia. Oily fish are a good source of vitamin D, protein, some B vitamins and selenium. They’re also a rich source of omega-3, a type of fat good for our health. So when I saw a packet of smoked mackerel on my last shopping trip I got the urge to make some smoked mackerel pâté.
We had our pâté with some wholemeal pittas and cucumber but it would also be great served as a dip with crudités or bread sticks.
For more recipe inspiration using smoked mackerel check out these fabulous recipes from fellow bloggers: Creamy Leek, Spinach & Smoked Mackerel Savoury Crumble, White Bean and Smoked Mackerel Bruschetta, Smoked Mackerel, Broccoli and Plantain Stirfry, Smoked Mackerel Kedgeree, Mackerel Salad with Beetroot, Apple & Walnut and finally Warm Couscous, Roast Potato & Smoked Mackerel Salad.
- 200g Smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed
- 90g Cream cheese (half a small tub)
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tsp Creamed horseradish sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- Break up the mackerel fillets and place them and all the other ingredients into a blender and whizz until evenly mixed. (I use my stick blender and beaker).
- Serve as a filling for pittas, sandwiches etc or as a dip.