Many people associate SPAM Chopped Pork and Ham with their school days when it was always served deep fryed and coated in batter. Well times have moved on and there are a whole host of more exciting ways to use this useful store cupboard staple. One such way is in this delicious SPAM Salad with Garlic Croutons and Gruyère! Romaine lettuce is tossed in a garlicky french dressing to which fried Spam and garlic croutons are added and then topped with grated Gruyère cheese.
I made this salad for mine and hubby’s lunch and then kept the rest in the fridge for the children’s dinner. There were clean plates all round I’m happy to say as everyone loved this dish. I think this salad would even be great for a packed lunch and is really easy to eat with just a fork!
- 6 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Light Muscovado sugar
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Small handful chives, snipped (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, washed & sliced
- 1 Tub or can of 200g SPAM Chopped Pork & Ham, cubed
- 3 Slices white bread, crusts removed & cubed
- 3 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 50g Gruyère Cheese, grated (a mouli grater is best)
- Put all the dressing ingredients into a lidded beaker and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan and fry the cubed SPAM and bread for a few minutes.
- Next add the crushed garlic and continue frying on all sides until golden.
- Place the prepared lettuce in a bowl and pour over the dressing and toss.
- Add the croutons and SPAM and lightly toss.
- Garnish with the grated Gruyère cheese and serve.
Do you have a favourite way you like to serve SPAM? Do let me know in the comments! You might like to check out these SPAM recipes too:
NB: Recipe commissioned by SPAM