My mum seems to be a never ending resource of recipes and one will just pop into my head from time to time and a quick phone call later I have the bones of one of her old dishes which half the time she’s forgotten about herself. As the recipes are all stored in her head the quantities sometimes need a little tweaking but I think it’s good that I’m writing them down now so at least I can pass them onto my daughter.
Having launched a Fathers Day competition for Pyrex I thought I would make this dish in honour of Fathers Day using one of their fabulous lipped non-stick frying pans. I have really enjoyed hearing what everyone’s dad’s favourite dishes are or were. I wanted to make something that would be suitable for any kind of weather as it’s been so very up and down this year, well down mainly! My dad and my husband both love this salad so that’s why I thought I’d share it with you.
I am entering this dish into Javlin Warrior’s Cookin w/luv Made with Love Mondays event as it is made from scratch and also Herbs on Saturday which is run by Karen at Lavender and Lovage as it contains tarragon.
So here’s a quick overview of how you make it:
- 240g Good quality smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm slices
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 500g Chicken breast, (I used mini fillets) chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Bunch spring onions, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 tsp Dried tarragon
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- For salad (quantities according to taste):
- Mixed salad leaves
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Avocado, sliced
- Black olives
- Have your salad ingredients all prepared in bowls so that you can quickly assemble when the chicken and bacon are ready.
- Fry the bacon in the rapeseed oil gently until crispy in 2 batches if necessary (less likely to burn than olive oil).
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and put to one side. Make sure any burnt bits are removed from the pan.
- Season the chicken pieces, add to the pan and fry until opaque.
- Then add the spring onions and tarragon and continue to fry until chicken is golden all over.
- Assemble 4 plates of salad whilst the chicken is frying
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice and heat through for about 30 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon add the chicken and spring onions to each salad in a mound in the centre and then add the crispy bacon pieces.
- Next pour on the warm dressing left in the pan.
- Serve on it’s own or with some crusty bread.
NB: I was not paid for this post and all opinions are my won. I received my pan along with all my other Pyrex items as part of running the Fathers Day competition. The lipped frying pan from Pyrex is currently undergoing an update and will be available again after the summer.