Banana Pudding is the perfect recipe for using up 5 overripe bananas. So easy to make and pure comfort food, no wonder it’s so popular. Just serve with ice cream!
NB: I first published this recipe for Banana Pudding (one of our favourites) in January 2014 so it was in serious need of a photographic update as my photography has vastly improved since then and my equipment has too.
I’ve come to realise we have a slight banana addiction judging by the number of banana recipes I’ve posted! So anyway back to the original post:
After the excesses of Christmas we all need to tighten our belts and save money where we can. Reducing our food waste is a good place to start. As a nation we all throw away far too much food as we just don’t get round to using it before it perishes.
If you’re anything like me, sometimes your fruit bowl just gets just a bit out of control and before you know it a whole hand of bananas has suddenly gone from ripe to overripe. Yes you can make banana cake but this usually only uses up a couple of bananas and yes you can freeze bananas but mine tend to never see the light of day once they’ve ventured into the freezer!
So Banana Pudding has become my go to recipe when it comes to salvaging lots of overripe bananas.
It won’t win any beauty contests but it’s gooey in the middle, crispy around the edge and is delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – true comfort food.
Even better Banana Pudding is quick and simple to make and can will happily stay in a warm oven until you’re ready to serve it. My family love this pudding and polish it with gusto.
It’s great to see fruit which looked fit for the compost heap make such a delicious pud – definitely a win win situation for your purse and your tummy!
More Banana Recipes
I do hope you try my Banana Pudding but for more banana pudding and dessert inspiration you might like the following:
- Banoreo Cheesecake
- 3 Ingredient Banana Nutella Pancakes
- Hazlenut Chocolate Banana Delight with Meringue
- Banana & Chocolate Quesadilla
- Sin Free Chocolate Mousse
- Upside-down White Chocolate Banoffee Shortcake
- Banana & Raspberry Ice Cream
- Baked Rum Bananas
- Vegan & Gluten Free Banoffee Pie
Don’t forget to share your Banana Puddings with me tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin for later?
- 5 large ripe/overripe bananas about 900g – 1kg unpeeled weight
- 50 g butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 115 g caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 115 g plain flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20cm round dish.
- Mash the bananas into a pulp.
- Mix in the melted butter, vanilla extract, sugar, beaten egg and sifted flour.
- Pour into the dish and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.