With summer well and truly here refreshment is on everyone’s mind and hot comforting puddings are put on the back burner. One of our favourite summer desserts is “ice milk” as it is has all the taste of a premium ice cream but barely any of the fat or hefty calories of its cousin; it is almost like a dairy sorbet but a little harder. Cherries and chocolate are a winning combination in a Black Forest Gateaux so I decided to put them in this ice milk recipe with a dash of vanilla. Using frozen cherries gives the ice cream maker a helping hand and is also a far cheaper way of buying cherries. Keeping the chopped up dark chocolate in the freezer until needed is also top tip!
My family love this Black Forest Ice Milk and I love that I’m giving them something not only tasty but healthy too. Summer really is the perfect time for healthy eating and this dessert is packed with Vitamin C, calcium and iron from the cherries, milk and dark chocolate respectively.
As there is no cream in this ice cream style dessert it is harder than conventional ice cream so you need to take it out of the freezer for 10 minutes before serving. The wait will be hard, but believe me it will be totally worth it and you’ll be making this Black Forest Ice Milk again and again! Of course you don’t have to keep this Black Forest Ice Milk for dessert it’s also fabulous served in an ice cream cone and if it’s one dipped in chocolate, even better!
Black Forest Vanilla Ice Milk
- 1 ltr Semi-skimmed milk
- 100 g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla sugar
- 100 g Dark chocolate finely chopped & put in freezer
- 250 g Frozen cherries
- Put the sugar and vanilla sugar in a large bowl.
- Blitz the cherries in a food processer until finely chopped.
- Add the milk to the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add the chopped cherries and agitate with a whisk to distribute evenly.
- Using a jug, pour the cherry milk into an ice cream maker and churn.
- After 5 – 10 mins when milk starts to thicken pour in the frozen chopped chocolate.
- Carry on churning until ice milk is the consistency of ice cream (about 40 minutes in total depending on your machine).
- Pour into a tub and freeze for 6 – 8 hrs. (Makes just over 1 ltr).
- To serve, take ice milk out of freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Why not pin for later?
This recipe was previously featured at Great British Chefs.