Cajun Chicken Fajitas – a classic Tex-Mex dish that your family will love! Marinated chicken breast strips with bell peppers, onion, cajun seasoning, served with sour cream and lime wedges in tortilla!
We love spicy food in our family so when Schwartz sent me some of their products recently I made a bee line for the Cajun Perfect Shake Herb & Spice Blend!
Initially we tried it out on some chicken breasts on the BBQ sliced in half horizontally rubbed in oil and the dusted with the Cajun seasoning and a squeeze of lime! This worked a treat and so I knew Cajun Chicken Fajitas would work equally well and they certainly didn’t disappoint!
The whole family were gushing with their praise for this meal. Best of all you just put all the food in the centre of the table and everyone just helps themselves. No arguments about who got more, or is that just my family?
The trick with these fajitas is to have a really hot caste iron skillet (or wok if you don’t have one) and to place the meat and vegetables into the pan a little at a time as you don’t want to cool the pan down all at once.
Taking the meat out of the fridge ahead of time to take off some off some of the chill is also beneficial!
Once cooked it’s important to serve straight away and once you’ve assemble your fajita with sliced avocados, shredded lettuce, sour cream and grated Cheddar don’t forget to squeeze over some extra lime juice or some extra zing!
More Recipes using Schwartz Spices
- Curried Parsnip and Coriander Soup – Fab Food 4 All
- BBQ Mojito Lime Pineapple – A Glug of Oil
- Sticky Pulled Chicken Rolls – Eats Amazing
NB: This is a commissioned post for Schwartz and all opinions are my own.
Cajun Chicken Fajitas with Schwartz Perfect Shake
- 3 tablespoon Light olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Lime juice
- 5 teaspoon Schwartz Cajun Perfect Shake
- 1 Garlic clove crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 500 g Chicken breast
- 3 Small mixed bell peppers sliced
- 3 Small red onions halved and sliced
- 2 tsp Rapeseed oil
- Iceberg lettuce shredded
- Avocado sliced
- Grated Cheddar
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- 8 Small flour tortillas warmed
- Start by putting all the marinade ingredients into a large bowl and whisking together.
- Slice the chicken in half horizontally and then slice across the grain into strips roughly the same size as the peppers.
- Add the chicken, peppers and onions to the marinade, mix well and leave to marinade for at least 5 minutes and up to an hour.
- Heat 2 tsp of rapeseed oil on a high heat in a caste iron skillet (or wok) and using tongs place the meat & vegetables into the pan gradually.
- Allow the meat to colour and cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- At the same time warm the flour tortillas in a frying pan (not non-stick) until they bubble up, then turn over being careful not to burn them and stack them up on a plate.
- Place all the garnishes, tortillas and skillet (on a board) on the table allowing your guests to assemble their own individual tortillas and don't forget the extra squeeze of lime.