Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes are deliciously moist cupcakes combining dark chocolate with orange marmalade & finished off with a drizzle of orange icing.
When a little bird told me that it was National Marmalade Week (1 – 8 March) I immediately thought of my grandmothers Marmalade Cakes which then lead me to develop these Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes.
As a child the cake stand would always come out when we visited and often there would be home made Marmalade Cakes and Butterfly Cakes on it. I know I ate them but they never really set my taste buds on fire.
So I decided, after an evening chatting on Twitter, that dark chocolate was what they needed.It seems that the chocolate and orange combo is exceedingly popular and is indeed one of the most searched for terms on my blog! So if you love chocolate orange cake then this recipe is for you!
After a bit of experimentation with amounts of marmalade and chocolate I came up with these yummy Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes.
They have just the right amount of orange tang from the marmalade and icing made with freshly squeezed orange juice which contrasts beautifully with the dark chocolate chips.
The cakes are moist and gooey due to the addition of an added blob of marmalade on the cakes just before baking. Perfect for your morning coffee or afternoon cup of tea.
When my kids got back from school they couldn’t wait to try my cakes and I’m pleased to say they went down very well as they don’t usually eat marmalade!
They insisted on having a cake in their packed lunches the following day so I will definitely be making these again.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Lemon & Elderflower Curd Cupcakes
- Little Apple Cupcakes
- Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes
- Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting & Candied Carrots
- Gulab Jumen Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Jam Buttercream
- Cardamom Beetroot Chocolate Cupcakes
I’m sure you’ll love these cupcakes! Do leave a comment and rating below. Plus don’t forget to share them with me on social medai, just tag @FabFood4All as I love seeing my recipes come to life
Pin my Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cupcakes for later!
Previously published on Great British Chefs!
Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes
- 125 g unsalted butter softened or buttery spread
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125 g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 - 3 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
- 100 g good quality orange marmalade + extra for spooning on
- 50 g dark chocolate chopped into chips
- 80 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12 cup bun tray with 12 paper cake cases.
- Place all the ingredients (bar the milk, marmalade and chocolate) into a cake mixer and mix at high speed until well combined.
- Add enough milk to make a flowing cake batter.
- Fold in the marmalade and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter equally between the cake cases.
- Spoon ¼ tsp of marmalade on top of each cake.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden and spring back to touch.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool on a rack.
- Finally mix the icing sugar and orange juice together and decorate the cakes by either drizzling from a spoon or using a piping bag and fine nozzle.