A frugal Courgette Soup, flavoured with garlic, basil and Parmesan cheese – perfect as a starter or light lunch.
I was recently asked if I had a Courgette Soup (aka zucchini) recipe on twitter so after flicking through some old recipes of my mother’s I came up with this recipe.
Back in the 70’s my mother went to cookery evening classes as she was a very keen cook and always wanting to learn more. The recipe I found was from one of these classes and was very basic so I decided to add garlic, basil and Parmesan to it.
I have a feeling that courgettes were more of a delicacy back in the 70’s and hence this soup is more broth like in consistency and a few ingredients go a very long way.
I used 3 very large courgettes and 2 large onions and this provided soup for myself and my husband for 5 lunches. The soup improved with age as the flavours matured so if you can make it a day in advance all the better.
This soup would make a great starter as it’s not going to fill you up or have it with a sandwich at lunch time to warm you up on a cold day (which is what we did). If you have one of those thermal mugs it would be great to take to work as you could easily sip it at your desk.
This Courgette Soup is not only economical but it’s so quick and easy to make. I will be making it again soon as hubby and I really enjoyed it.
For more courgette inspired dishes you might like to check out:
- Caramelised Courgette Soup – Fab Food 4 All
- Leek & Courgette Soup – Fab Food 4 All
- Kousa Mahshi (Lebanese Stuffed Courgettes) – Cook Sister
- Courgette, Goat’s Cheese and Mint Fritatta – Kavey Eats
- Courgette Spaghetti Alredo – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Turkish Zucchini Fritters – Tinned Tomatoes
As this soup is frugal, had been in my file forever, contains courgettes that were languishing in the fridge as well as herbs, I’m entering it into the following linkies:
Credit Crunch Munch which I run with Helen at Fuss Free Flavours
No Waste Food Challenge over at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Cooking with Herbs over at Lavender and Lovage
Pin for later!
A frugal courgette soup, almost broth, flavoured with garlic, basil and parmesan cheese - perfect as a light starter or to have with your lunch.
- 25 g Unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp Olive oil
- 2 Large Onions finely diced
- 3 Large garlic cloves
- 900 g Courgettes slices
- 1 ½ tsp Dried basil
- 1.7 ltr Vegetable stock
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- 60 g Parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese grated
- Garnish optional
- A few slithers of parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
- Sprinkle of basil
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan and gently sweat the onions and garlic under a lid, stirring occasionally until softened but not coloured (about 10 minutes).
- Add the courgettes, basil, seasoning and stock.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until courgettes are softened.
- Blend soup (I use a stick blender) then add grated parmesan.
- Check seasoning and serve garnished with parmesan slithers, dried basil and drizzle of olive oil.