A mild Egg, Leek and Potato Curry that is as frugal as it is delicious. The perfect mid-week vegetarian meal.
Last night I went to cook some pork chops but inspired by Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes, hubby said he wanted to have a Meat Free Monday.
Well, only too happy to oblige I went to the fridge for some veggie inspiration.
There were lots of leeks in the fridge as well as eggs and potatoes so having seen a recent Cauliflower Egg Curry post by Jane of Onions & Paper I knew exactly what to do. My appetite had already been whetted for Egg, Leek and Potato Curry!
I had mild egg curries so often as a child and I really should make them more often as they just got forgotten in the mists of time.
I thought about mixing up my own spice blend but then thought I’d keep things simple with some Mild Curry powder I had in the cupboard, some turmeric for an added golden glow and seeing some tamarind paste in the fridge that needed using up I put a spoonful of that in for good measure as well as half a cinnamon stick.
Yes I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants and it could have all ended in disaster but I’m happy to say that the kids loved it and said they’d like it again but hubby said he’d prefer it spicier – you can’t please everyone!
So if you prefer your egg curry spicier and aren’t catering for young children then feel free to use a hotter curry powder. I actually prefer my egg curries mild as I think it complements the egg flavour perfectly.
I do hope you give this curry a go and even tweak it to you own desired taste if you wish, as Nigel Slater says “a recipe is just a starting place!
I’m entering my Egg, Leek and Potato Curry into Credit Crunch Munch as it’s so cheap to make – run by myself and Fuss Free Flavours and hosted this month by Jen’s Food. I’m also entering Meat Free Mondays which is of course run by Tinned Tomatoes! I’m entering Extra Veg which is run by Fuss Free Flavours (hosting) and Utterly Scrummy! Finally I’m entering Simply Eggcellent run by Belleau Kitchen.
More vegetarian curry recipes
- Mushroom, Spinach & Chickpea Curry – Fab Food 4 All
- Butternut Squash & Chickpea Dopiaza – A Mummy Too
- Jamaican Style Coconut Curry Veggies with Roasted Cashews – Coffee & Vanilla
- Roasted Pumpkin Thai Red Curry – Recipes from a Pantry
Do let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! Better still, share a snap by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin for later!
Egg, Leek and Potato Curry
- 2 Leeks
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 2 Large potatoes baking size, diced into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp Mild curry powder or your choice
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Salt flakes
- 1 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Coconut milk powder dissolved in 400mls hot water
- 8 Eggs large
- Heat the oil in a wok or similar and gently fry the leek and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes and fry gently for a further 10 minutes until leeks becoming slightly golden.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, tamarind paste and cinnamon stick and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, coconut milk and salt, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. You might want to put a lid on halfway through to preserve some of the curry sauce.
- Meanwhile boil the eggs for 8 minutes.
- Run under cold water, peel and add to the curry for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with Basmati rice and mango chutney.