Being half Danish I regularly put together Danish open sandwiches (smørrebrød) on traditional wholegrain rye bread but am aware it’s not to everyone’s taste. So when my mother told me about this particular Egg and Prawn open sandwich that she makes all the time, I thought it would be ideal to share during British Sandwich Week which takes place from 11 – 17 May. The sandwich is made on crisp white toast which contrasts well with the soft egg and prawns that adorn it. It’s simple to make and great for a bite to eat at lunch time. The important aspect of this sandwich that all your ingredients are completely dry, so no soggy lettuce or prawns please!
Did you know that “open sandwiches” date back to the Middle Ages when thick slabs of coarse bread (called tranches by the French & trenches by the British) were used as plates. When the diner had finished his meal he would either eat the trencher, feed it to his dog or save it for a beggar! So the open sandwich really came about because of the need for a disposable plate!
I think the beauty of open sandwiches is that you get a far better ratio of nutritious topping to the bread – there’s only so much filling you can put in a sandwich but open sandwiches can be piled high! I also think they make you eat slower as you have to use a knife and fork to eat them and consequently you must use up more calories (well there’s that cutting action)! Open sandwiches are definitely the healthier option when it comes to sandwiches, so what are you waiting for – go thaw some prawns and start boiling an egg!
Egg & Prawn Open Sandwich with Lemon Mayonnaise
- 1 Slice white buttered toast
- 2 Lettuce leaves or enough to cover bread
- 1 Hard boiled egg halved
- 50 g Frozen prawns thawed & patted dry with kitchen paper
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Good squeeze of lemon juice
- A few drops of milk
- Slice of lemon cut into middle
- Cover buttered toast with lettuce.
- Place egg halves on lettuce, side by side.
- Mix mayonnaise with a good squeeze of lemon juice and a few drops of milk to make dressing.
- Spoon over egg halves, covering completely.
- Scatter prawns and put on top.
- Garnish with lemon slice.
- Squeeze lemon slice over prawns just before eating.
- Makes 1 open sandwich.