This Quick Nicoise Style Salad is very popular with the whole of my family. In fact it’s often met with a whoop of delight from my kids, especially when I serve it with their favourite garlic bread!
Technically Salad Nicoise should have anchovies draped on it according to Wikipedia but as we are not keen on them we leave them out. So if you like them feel free to put them on top or add to the dressing! Some chefs add blanched green beans to their Nicoise but when you come rushing in the door and need a quick meal, a ripe avocado is in my opinion a more delicious and simpler alternative.
Up until recently I had used an off the shelf creamy dressing, which, although nice wasn’t exactly economical or fresh. Hence I went on a cyber search for the solution and had to look no further than Lucy Vaserfirer’s blog Hungry Cravings – link here. She kindly let me reproduce this version and I don’t think you’ll ever need to buy a shop bought creamy dressing again after tasting this one!
For more main meal salad recipes you might like the following:
- Prawn & Egg Salad
- SPAM Salad with Garlic Croutons & Gruyere
- Chilli Prawn and Pasta Salad
- Grilled Halloumi Salad
- Smoked Mackerel & Chickpea Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Radish Asparagus Avocado Salad
- Beetroot, Squash & Feta Salad
Pin my Quick Nicoise Style Salad for later!
Quick Nicoise Style Salad
- 1 Head of Mixed Salad Leaves washed
- 2 Tins tuna in oil drained
- 4 Free range eggs boiled & quartered
- 2 Avocados sliced into eighths
- 4 Vine ripened tomatoes cut into segments
- 24 Kalamata olives pitted
- For Quick Creamy Salad Dressing:
- 125 ml Mayonnaise reduced or full fat
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 ½ tsp Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp Water
- Chives to taste snipped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chive flower petals optional
- First whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, chives and water. Season to taste.
- Next arrange the salad leaves over 4 plates.
- Then arrange the rest of the ingredients on top of the leaves finishing with the olives.
- Dress with the Quick Creamy Salad Dressing and serve with warm crusty wholemeal baguette or garlic bread.
If you have some leftover cooked new potatoes these are also great added to the salad.