In association with Veetee
Today I’m sharing with you my Quick & Spicy Prawn Curry which cooks in less than 20 minutes! It’s National Curry Week (10 – 16 October) so Veetee asked if I would like to share my favourite curry with you.
Whenever I go out to an Indian restaurant I usually opt for a prawn curry and at home I love making prawn curries as they are so quick and easy to make. Usually my curries are mild to medium in heat but I decided to create something with a bit more chilli heat this time but then offset it slightly with single cream.
To be honest I was expecting my daughter to complain about the heat as she’s not a fan of hot chilli but to my surprise she absolutely loved it and her plate was empty in no time at all. Hubby and son were also equally impressed so I will be making this on a regular basis as meals the whole family can agree on are not always easy to come by!
I have to admit I had never cooked ‘heat and eat’ microwavable rice from Veetee before and was blown away by the ease, convenience and quality of the rice. You simply pierce the lid of the Veetee tub a few times, heat in the microwave for 2 minutes and then fluff to perfection with a fork, no boiling water, no pan to wash up and no danger of under or over cooked rice.
Yes I will admit I have done both before and usually because I’m with juggling another dish or dishes. So my Quick & Spicy Prawn Curry paired with Veetee Basmati Rice is the perfect midweek dish to make when you’ve come home from work tired and hungry!
If you want to turn down the heat for younger children then just reduce the amount of chilli powder to give a milder curry as this is a hot curry.
For more quick curry inspiration you might like the following:
- 15 Min Thai Red Prawn Curry – Recipes from a Pantry
- Feel-good Fish Curry – Family Friends Food
- Aubergine, Mushroom & Sweet Potato Massaman Curry – Planet Veggie
- Fruity Chicken Curry – Munchies and Munchkins
Why not pin for later?
NB: This is a commissioned post for Veetee and all opinions are my own.
Quick & Spicy Prawn Curry
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli deseeded & finely chopped
- 3 cm ginger root chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 g large cooked peeled prawns I use thawed frozen
- 1 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 150 ml single cream
- 3 – 4 packs Veetee Basmati Rice
- coriander leaf chopped
- Heat the oil in a large wok style pan and fry the onion, ginger and garlic stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli and carry on frying for another 5 minutes or until the onions start turning golden.
- Add the spices and fry for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Cook the Veetee Basmati Rice in the microwave according to the instructions.
- Add the prawns, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, bring to the boil and then lower to a simmer for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the single cream and heat through for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with the Veetee Basmati Rice and garnish with chopped coriander.
Quick tip for thawing prawns is to spread them out on a large plate and put them in a cold oven with just the fan running for about 25 minutes and then drain off the excess water.