I had been meaning to post this recipe for a long time as I used to make it so often and then just fell out of the habit. Today I noticed a lonely jar of Tom Yum Soup Paste at the back of the cupboard and remembered I had a few mushrooms that needed using up so knew exactly what to do. It was lunch time but none of us had had breakfast so I was going to do poached eggs on toast for my daughter and then decide that I would also add a poached egg to the soup as it’s not a million miles away from what the Chinese do with their omelette on dishes!
Not only is this soup really tasty and spicy but it’s probably the quickest soup in the west and the east!
Just add a garnish of chopped coriander and enjoy!
Quick Tom Yum Soup with Poached Egg
- 5 Minute Tom Yum Soup with Poached Egg
- 600 mls Boiling water
- 9 Baby plum tomatoes
- 3 Chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ Sheets of medium noodles
- 4 generous tsp Tom Yum Soup Paste
- 18 King Prawns
- Small handful of fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 3 Eggs
- Splash of distilled white vinegar
- Place all the ingredients except the coriander, eggs and vinegar into the boiling water (use a kettle) bring to the boil and then simmer until the noodles and prawns are cooked (about 4 minutes).
- Meanwhile lower the eggs one by one into a saucepan of boiling water with a splash of vinegar.
- Cook for 4 minutes for a slightly runny centre, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on some kitchen paper.
- Divide the soup between 3 bowls, place the egg on top and garnish with the chopped coriander.