Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake has a delicious crispy almond topping underneath which lies a moist chocolate sponge spiked with fresh cherries!Last week I didn’t plan to make a Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake but a Pear & Chocolate Cake! However, having left it too long, my pears were no longer firm enough to be cake bound. So spying a punnet of fresh cherries in my fridge it became obvious what I should make!
Cherries & chocolate are a classic combination, you only have to think of Black Forest Gateaux, so I knew this combination would be a winner. I also added a layer of flaked almonds to the bottom of the tin which toast nicely during baking and add a bit of extra crunch and flavour. The bottom of this cake actually becomes the top and is finished off with a dusting of icing sugar.
The resulting cake has a nice nutty outer crust whilst maintaining moisture inside from the cherries enrobed in the chocolate sponge. I was planning on sharing this cake with visitors but sadly they had to cancel so we had to eat all the cake ourselves. It was a tough job but someone had to do it😊
How long will Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake keep for?
Three days in an airtight container (the cake gets moister on storing due to the moisture of the cherries).
What if I haven’t got fresh cherries to make Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake?
If you can use the best tasting and freshest cherries you can find. However you could use frozen sweet cherries (yes there are sour ones) straight from the freezer or even drained tinned cherries.
How many people does this cherry cake serve?
This Cherry Chocolate Cake will serve 8 – 10 people, so perfect for a tea party!
Could I change the cherries to another fruit?
Yes, freshly sliced, firm, peeled pears would work well or any other fruit that you enjoy with chocolate!
Could I add actual chocolate to Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake?
Yes if you have it, a 100 g bar of chopped up dark chocolate would be a great addition, just fold in along with the cherries.
What other recipes can you make with cherries?
I do hope you try my Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake as it’s so easy to make and as it doesn’t require icing there’s minimal washing up too! You might like to check out these cherry themed recipes too:
- Cherzipan Cake (Cherry & Marzipan Cake)
- Cherry Jam
- Healthy Black Forest Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Tart
- White Forest Cake
- Vegan Cherry Cake Bites
When you make my Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake do leave a comment and rating below! You can also share a photo with me by tagging @FabFood4All on Instagram.
Pin for later!
Simple Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 25 g flaked or ground almonds
- 170 g softened butter or buttery spread
- 85 g soft brown sugar
- 155 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 15 g cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 200 - 220 g cherries pitted & halved
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Grease and flour a 20cm spring form baking tin.
- Sprinkle on the flaked almonds.
- Cream together the butter/spread and soft brown sugar until pale and fluffy. (Use an electric whisk or stand mixer).
- Beat in the egg a little at a time until fully incorporated.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together in a bowl.
- Gradually fold in the flour mixture, a spoonful at a time with a large metal spoon (moving in a figure of 8) until fully mixed in.
- Then fold in the cherry halves.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and place on the middle shelf of oven.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean or cake springs back to the touch.
- Turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool dust with icing sugar.
- Serves 8 – 10 and keeps for 3 days.