Skinny Haddock, Bacon and Mushroom Chowder is a delicious low fat one pot meal the whole family will love.
On Sunday we went out for a lovely walk and at the back of my mind was dinner. We had various bits in the fridge and freezer that needed using up so when I got back home I ended up making this delicious Skinny Haddock Chowder with Bacon and Mushrooms. I knew that Chowder usually has cream in it but I didn’t want to make an unhealthy dinner or buy any new ingredients on a day of rest (LOL is there ever such a thing for a woman)?
So to be honest I never expected this Skinny Haddock, Bacon and Mushroom Chowder to be anything more than just passable! You know, no big shakes as I wasn’t using cream and it was never my intention to share it with my readers, I was just having a fridge clearout!
However as I was serving our now late dinner on Sunday night (squeezing in the walk had pushed it further along) I suddenly heard my hubby exclaim “YOU HAVE TO BLOG THIS” in no uncertain terms.
So there I was, tired from a day of housework, a walk, cooking and now I had to leap into blogger mode, find my camera and hastily set up a shoot when all I wanted to do was eat (I can hear the violins now)! I did ask for further reassurance by asking him to mark my Chowder out of 10 and he gave it a 9 so off I trotted with my bowl of soup to my “studio”!
The following day there was enough Chowder for us both to have for lunch and we agreed that it tasted even better! I then did a re-shoot as I wasn’t completely happy with my hastily unexpected shoot from the night before, so the eagle eyed amongst you might notice the difference between shots!
You could make this soup with any white fish, I just happened to have some haddock loin from the reduced aisle that I’d frozen which needed using up. I do hope you try my Skinny Haddock, Bacon and Mushroom Chowder as it the perfect one pot meal full of healthy, nutritious ingredients and being low in fat is just an extra bonus!
For more fish soup inspiration you might like these recipes:
- Salmon, Shiitake and Freekah Soup – From the Healthy Heart
- Tom Yum Soup with Poached Egg – Fab Food 4 All
- Cullen Skink – Foodie Quine
Pin for later:
Skinny Haddock, Bacon and Mushroom Chowder
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oll
- 2 Onions medium, diced
- 4 Unsmoked bacon rashers diced (fat trimmed)
- 250 g Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 260g Tin sweetcorn drained
- 300 g Baby new potatoes sliced (such as Jersey Royals)
- 200 g Frozen leaf spinach about 8 blocks
- 300 mls Semi-skimmed milk
- 1 ltr Chicken stock
- 350 g Boneless skinless haddock loin, cut into bite sized chunks (or frozen fish pie mix)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Push the onions to the outer edge and add the diced bacon and continue frying until bacon is cooked and onions softened (flipping occasionally with a spatula).
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic and cook through (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the stock, milk, sweetcorn, spinach, potato slices and ground pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the haddock or frozen fish pie mix and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes (or until the fish is cooked).
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with toast for dunking!