Wholemeal Cheddar and Apple Chutney Soda Bread with Cider is so quick and easy to make. A nutty, cheesy wholemeal soda bread with a sweet apple chutney and cider kick. It goes perfectly with soup.
I found myself with half a can of spare cider on Sunday morning (the other half had gone in the slow cooker). I didn’t want to waste it and drinking it wasn’t an option so I immediately thought of Soda Bread.
In the past I’ve made a large Apple & Pear Cider Soda Bread with a whole can of cider so knew this loaf had to be a small one.
I also realised we didn’t have any bread for lunch so a savoury loaf was what was required.
Having a look in my fridge for inspiration I saw Cheddar cheese and a jar of Apple & Walnut Chutney. They were both proving very popular so I knew these 2 flavours were a great match!
I wasn’t wrong and the smell of the loaf when it came out of the oven was just divine.
The sweetness of the cider and chutney perfectly complimented the mature Cheddar!
I’ve tried making soda bread with beer before but didn’t like the flavour it gave.
Equally, my family isn’t keen on buttermilk so I don’t use that either.
I made Cheddar and ham salad sandwiches for lunch which tasted out of this world.
So the next time you run out of bread, don’t jump in the car because with soda bread you have a really quick solution to your bread needs.
If, unlike me, you have a whole can of cider, why not make 2 loaves and freeze one or bake one large one for about 40 minutes?
It’s so simple, satisfying and tasty there is no excuse not to make this loaf – so go on, what are you waiting for?
More Soda Bread Recipes
- Emmental Soda Bread
- Easy Cheesy Jalapeno Soda Bread
- Apple & Pear Cider Spelt Soda Bread
- Malted Spelt Soda Bread
- Blueberry & Lemon Soda Bread
- Christmas Soda Bread
- Irish Soda Bread Scones
I’m sure you’ll love my super easy and delicious Wholemeal Cheddar and Apple Chutney Soda Bread with Cider! Do try it and let me know how you get on.
Do leave a comment and rating below when you’ve made this recipe as I love getting your feedback! You can also share your pictures by tagging @FabFood4All over on Instagram.
Pin for later!
Wholemeal Cheddar and Apple Chutney Soda Bread with Cider
- 250 g Strong wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 100 g Extra mature Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 rounded tbsp Apple Chutney I used Apple & Walnut
- 200 mls Cider
- Pre-heat the oven to 190⁰C.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a sprinkling of flour.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Then add the grated Cheddar and chutney.
- Add the cider and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Now put your hands in (oiling them helps immensely) and bring the dough together quickly by kneading into a ball, adding a little extra flour if necessary. Don’t overwork the dough, speed is of the essence!
- Place the dough ball on the floured baking sheet and flatten a little, dust with flour and then mark a cross into it with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when knocked on the base.