Mushroom & Walnut Penne - Organic & Vegetarian
A nutritious and delicious organic, low fat, vegetarian pasta dish made with mushroom, walnuts, white wine and yogurt, finished off with a good grating of hard cheese!
- 1 Red onion* large, finely sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves* crushed
- 200 g White mushrooms*
- 80 g Walnut halves*
- 250 mls White Wine I used Soave*
- 250 ml Organic vegetable or chicken stock made from 1 stock cube
- 150 ml Low fat plain yogurt*
- 350 g Penne*
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano* grated or vegetarian hard cheese to serve
- A few extra walnut pieces to garnish optional
- *All from the Sainsbury So Organic range
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick pan on a medium heat and soften the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes under a lid, stirring occasionally.
Add another tbsp of oil and add the walnuts and mushrooms and fry until cooked, stirring regularly.
Add the stock, wine and seasoning, bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes to make a reduction.
Cook the penne according to instructions.
Add the yogurt to the reduction over a very low heat and stir through, adjust seasoning if necessary.
Drain the pasta and pour over the mushroom and walnut sauce.
Place in a large serving bowl and serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano or vegetarian equivalent and garnish with walnut pieces.