Lamb, Vegetable and Lentil Soup with Cabbage
Lamb, Vegetable and Lentil Soup with Cabbage is a delicious hearty soup which all the family will love.
Servings 4 - 6
- 675 g/1½lb lean boneless lamb shoulder or neck fillet cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30 ml/2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions peeled and chopped
- 100 g/4oz red lentils rinsed
- 700 ml/1¼pints good hot lamb stock
- 1 large sprig rosemary roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 225 g/8oz carrots peeled and sliced
- 225 g/8oz swede peeled and roughly chopped
- Handful finely chopped green cabbage
Place the lamb in large bowl and season.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the lamb in batches for 5-6 minutes.
Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the lentils, stock, rosemary and half the thyme leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat then cover and cook for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the carrots, swede and cabbage. Continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
Garnish with the remaining fresh thyme leaves and serve with crusty bread.