Just before Christmas one of our neighbours kindly had another Christmas get together and on the invitation it stated 6-8pm. As my family had got up late that day it was too early to eat before we went out so I decided we were going to have Filipa from Gourmet Mum’s Quesadillas with cheese and mushrooms that she’d shown on Twitter a couple of days before! It’s a kind of hot cheesy sandwich made from tortilla wraps. (For a more thorough explanation of Quesadillas click on Filipa’s recipe for Mexican Bean Quesadillas). I also want to thank Gourmet Mum for reinvigorating our love of tortillas as we seem to have been eating them ever since!
Well as with all best intentions the party ran on (we were the last to leave at 11.30pm) and so making Quesadillas was definitely off the menu! There had been plenty of delicious food at the party so we just went straight to bed. My husband had had rather too many beers at the party and felt a tad hung over the following day, I had been a good girl though and was fine (apart from a stupid cold). Hence being up late again and having my husband’s predicament to deal with I embarked on creating “Hangover Brunch Quesadillas” by adding bacon to mix. I know how hung over people always crave greasy food! I made these Brunch Quesadillas to serve the four of us but 2 hungry hung over adults would probably polish this amount off easily between them, my husband did ask if he could have another one!
I am entering this dish into The Breakfast Club where the theme this month is” brunch” being hosted by Vanesther at Bangers & Mash and the brain child of Helen at Fuss Free Flavours.
First you fry your bacon strips.
Then you fry your mushrooms.
Then you layer your cheese, mushrooms, bacon, more cheese & garlic oil on tortillas.
Than fold tortillas in half and dry fry for 1-2 minutes each side.
Slice each Quesadilla in half and serve!
- 2 Tortillas Wholegrain or White
- 250 g Chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 2 Cloves of garlic crushed in 1 ½ tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Rashers of bacon smoked or unsmoked, sliced
- Grated Cheddar as much as you want, I used about 120g quite conservative
- Light olive oil for frying
- Start by frying your bacon strips in a splash of oil, then set aside using a slotted spoon.
- Next fry your mushrooms with in another splash of oil until golden.
- Now put your Quesadilla together by laying out the tortilla on a chopping mat.
- Place the fillings on one side only, start with a layer of cheese, then a layer of bacon, a layer of mushroom and finish with another layer of cheese then drizzle the half the garlic oil over the top and fold tortilla in half.
- Repeat this process for the other tortilla.
- Now place the Quesadillas in a preheated dry frying pan and heat for 1 – 2 minutes a side on a medium heat so that the cheese melts and the Quesadillas brown slightly.
If you prefer you can just fry the garlic up with the mushrooms instead of adding in the oil at the end.