Today I’m bringing you my Prawn & Egg Salad which is probably more or an idea than a recipe but it’s one that you can build on and adapt as you please.
This salad came about a couple of weeks ago when my kids had gone off on a day trip with their grandparents and it was just me and hubby home alone. As it was a really hot day we didn’t want a cooked meal and after a quick check of what we had available I suggested this salad which was inspired by those layered salads you get in M&S.
The first time we had it I made it without the garlic dressing and just a drizzle of lemon and oil but we did have tinned sweetcorn and avocado with it. I made it again this week (on hubby’s request) and this time included the garlic dressing as I felt something was missing from my first salad. I’d run out of tinned sweetcorn and avocados this week but I’ve added them to the recipe as they do go really well.
The whole family were here to enjoy this Prawn & Egg Salad this time and everyone love it so I have to say this will be a regular summer meal as it’s so easy to make and I do like an empty plate! I haven’t given exact quantities of all the ingredients as it’s your salad and everyone likes to eat different amounts so it’s really up to you!
For more main meal summer salad inspiration you might like the following:
- Chilli Prawn & Pasta Salad – Fab Food 4 All
- Scottish Barley & Smoked Salmon Salad – Foodie Quine
- Roasted Corn, Sweet Potato Noodle & Avocado Salad with Toasted Buckwheat Dukkah – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Blackberry & Prosciutto Salad – Cook Sister
- Greek Salad – Greedy Gourmet
Pin for later!
Prawn & Egg Salad
- 200 g frozen prawns thawed
- 4 eggs large
- mayonnaise enough to coat egg
- 1 small head of Iceberg lettuce washed & sliced
- cherry tomatoes or slices of tomato
- cucumber or avocado slices
- 2 small carrots grated
- 4 heaped tbsp tinned sweetcorn optional
- cayenne pepper for dusting
- For garlic dressing:
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- Boil the eggs in a pan of boiling water for about 12 minutes.
- Run under a cold tap to completely cool.
- Once cool finely chop the eggs (I pop into my egg slicer and then turn 90º and slice once more)
- Place the chopped egg in a small bowl and mix with enough mayonnaise to coat, then place in the fridge.
- Add the dressing ingredients to lidded beaker and shake vigorously.
- Arrange the lettuce on 4 plates then scatter over the grated carrot and sweetcorn if using.
- Add the tomatoes and cucumber.
- Divide the egg mayonnaise between the 4 plates placing in the centre
- Scatter the prawns over the 4 salads and then pour the dressing over.
- Finish off with a dusting of cayenne pepper.
- Serve with some crusty bread or a roll.