Gooey and yummy Spelt Banoffee Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate are healthier than your average flapjack!
Today I’m sharing my Spelt Banoffee Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate with you!
It was my mother’s birthday last week and one of the home baked treats we had was a lovely chocolate flapjack. I came away with the recipe (it was one from her head) and decided to give it a makeover. I was toying with adding apple but on seeing a very ripe small banana in the bowl decided it might be perfect for a Banoffee flavour and seeing some Organic Spelt Porridge Oats in the cupboard I decided to use those too.
Well the result was a very healthy(ish), gooey and tasty flapjack! The spelt porridge flakes have a lovely grainy texture and are packed with fibre and minerals that that you don’t get with ordinary porridge oats. Dark chocolate is also good for you and contains iron and bananas are packed with potassium so all in all I think these flapjacks are a very virtuous treat.
My son is studying for his GCSEs at the moment and I keep stressing to him how good bananas are for you and particularly for the brain and memory.
My Spelt Banoffee Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate didn’t last long here as everyone had a couple of slices after dinner the other night. I also think they would be a great treat for putting in your kid’s lunch boxes or even to take on a picnic.
What’s your favourite flapjack flavour? Here are a few ideas from fellow bloggers:
- Chocolate Drizzle Flapjacks – Fab Food 4 All
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Flapjacks – Penne for your Thoughts
- Marmalade Flapjacks – Foodie Quine
- Chocolate & Coconut Flapjacks – Tin & Thyme
As these flapjacks were made with an over ripe banana and some out of date Spelt Porridge Flakes (shh don’t tell the family) I’m entering them into Credit Crunch Munch which I run with Fuss Free Flavours and is being hosted by Bakingqueen74 this month. I’m also entering Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary’s No Waste Food Challenge.
Pin for later!
Spelt Banoffee Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate
Healthy, gooey and yummy Spelt Banoffee Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate are a treat you needn't feel guilty about!
- 75 g Butter lightly salted
- 75 g Light Brown Muscovado sugar
- 1 Small ripe banana (about 120g in skin), mashed
- 125 g Spelt porridge flakes or porridge oats
- 50 g Dark chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C.
- Grease and line a 17.5cm/7” round shallow cake tin.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a sauce pan over a low heat until melted.
- Stir in the mashed banana.
- Add the spelt porridge flakes and mix in thoroughly.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin and pat down and even surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden.
- Whilst still warm mark into 8 sections and allow to cool in tin.
- Once cool remove from tin and place on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile melt the 50g of dark chocolate over a bowl of barely simmering water.
- Pour chocolate over the middle of the cooled flapjack and spread in a circular motion with the back of a spoon.
- Allow to cool before cutting up and serving.