Chia & Sesame Seed Crackers are vegan, healthy and utterly yummy! Perfect for scooping up your favourite dip or topping with cheese.
If you’re anything like me you’ll have a bucket list of things that you keep meaning to make and never seem to get around to doing.
So I’m very pleased to say that I made these Chia & Sesame Seed Crackers this week as I’d never made crackers before. I found a recipe in Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter which I’ve adapted here.
One of the reasons I’ve wanted to make crackers is because my kids get through so many of them and the seeded ones are so expensive.
So after a rummage in my cupboards I found chia and sesame seeds which worked really well together. Best of all my kids loved my Chia & Sesame Seed Crackers as well as hubby and they had a great snap to them.
If I’d know it was so quick and easy to make crackers I don’t think I’d have left it this long to get around to making them.
Unlike cookie dough the cracker dough is much easier to handle and more akin to rolling out puff pastry.
The trick is to roll it out really thinly and prick over well with a fork to stop the crackers puffing up in the oven.
I paired my Chia & Sesame Seed Crackers (which are suitable for vegans) with some houmous but they’d be great with cheese or any other savoury dips.
Dips that go well with Crackers
- Smoked Mackerel Pâté
- Houmous with Peanut Butter
- Easy Roasted Carrot Houmous
- Avocado Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Spread
- Cheesy Cashew Nut Dip
More Cracker Recipes
I’m sure you’ll love this healthy cracker recipe.
Do leave a comment and rating below when you make these crackers as I love getting your feedback and it’s so useful for fellow readers. You can also share a snap by tagging @FabFood4All on social media as I love seeing my recipes come to life!
Pin for later!
Chia & Sesame Seed Crackers
- 140 g white strong bread flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp freshly ground sea salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 2 tsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 80 ml water
- Preheat oven to 200ºC and line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the oil and water and mix to a dough with a fork.
- Bring together with your hand to form a ball and knead in the bowl for a minute.
- Split the dough in half and place one half on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out the dough as thin as you can get it (there will be a lot of spring in it), about 2mm.
- Use a 6 cm cookie cutter to cut out circles and place on baking sheet.
- Prick the dough circles all over with a fork to prevent them rising.
- Bake at the top of oven for 11 - 12 minutes or until edges turning golden and cracker is crisp.
- Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
- Place baked crackers on a rack to cool.
- Keep in an airtight container.
- Makes 40.