This recipe was inspired by a Savoury Rice Salad in my much loved Entertaining with Cranks book. Even though I’m not a vegetarian I have always loved vegetarian food and in some ways find it much more adventurous than cooking with meat. My Warm Rice & Quinoa Salad with Pan Fried Tofu uses the softer variety of Tofu and not the more rubbery one, therefore after the crispy exterior there is a divinely light soft centre to die for! We are all new to eating tofu and this was our first experience eating it – everyone loved it and the warm salad which was both nutritious and delicious.
I’d be interested to find out what you do with your tofu as it’s a food I have yet to fully explore! I did however make a very lush Blackberry Tofu Brulee recently which again went down a storm!
For some more inspiring vegetarian salad ideas you might like to check out:
- Goi Chay – Vietnamese Noodle Salad
- Barbecued Tofu Salad,
- Warm Dressed Noodle Salad
- Tea Smoked Tofu Gado-Gado (Indonesian Peanut Sauce Vegetable Salad
- Egg Noodles with Purple Broccoli and Grilled Tofu.
Why not pin for later?
Disclaimer: I won the Clearspring Tofu in a Twitter competition and received the other Clearspring products as samples.
Warm Rice & Quinoa Salad with Pan Fried Tofu
- 250 g Quick Cook Rice & Quinoa I used Clearspring or a mixture of long grain brown rice & red quinoa
- 2 Medium Onions finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil + extra
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce I used Clearspring Tamari
- 1 Small courgette grated or make matchsticks with a mandolin
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 Red pepper finely chopped
- 1 300 g Block of Tofu I used Clearspring firm & silken which is actually soft
- Salt flakes & freshly ground pepper
- Slice the tofu into 8 pieces (or more if wished).
- Put on a plate lined with folded kitchen paper and pat dry the tofu with lots more kitchen paper.
- Once dry, put in a large dish and scatter with salt flakes then gently pour in enough boiling water to cover and leave for a minute. (This will firm up the tofu slightly and extract more moisture).
- Drain the tofu, pat dry again with more kitchen paper and set aside.
- Boil the rice and quinoa according to instructions and then drain.
- Meanwhile fry the onions in 2 tbsp oil until golden.
- Add the rice to the pan along with the freshly ground pepper and soya sauce, leave to one side.
- In a large frying pan or wok add enough oil to coat the bottom and then fry the tofu on both sides until golden (it may break as it’s very fragile).
- Put the fried tofu onto kitchen paper to drain.
- Add the courgette, carrot and red pepper to the rice mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Place into 4 bowls and top with the fried tofu.
- Serve with an extra splash of soya sauce if wished.