Today I bring you my Cheesy Courgette Omelette, something I often make at the weekend for our lunch but had never thought to post until one of my Facebook followers asked for the recipe! But before I get onto omelette I just want to say sorry for the unscheduled break from posting! After taking a few days off for half term last week I found my break extended following a dreadful bout of sciatica. Anyway I’m over the worst now thanks to some strong painkillers and anti-inflammatories and I’m hoping I get the feeling back in my right foot soon. I am my own worst enemy and need to spend less time behind a keyboard and more time taking exercise!
Anyway back to my Cheesy Courgette Omelette. I always seem to have courgettes in the fridge and a large carton of eggs so this is my go to omelette. It was my hubby who taught me the trick of finishing off an omelette under the grill and I have to say it gives a fabulous golden result with a light fluffy texture as the uncooked egg expands with the heat of the grill.
I have started adding a clove of garlic to this omelette lately but feel free to leave that out if you’re not keen. I do hope you try this lovely omelette which we always have with lashings of tomato ketchup. What are your favourite omelette ingredients? Do let me know in the comments.
- 8 Eggs, large
- 75 mls milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 Courgettes, sliced (enough to generously fill fry pan in single layer)
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 100g Mature Cheddar cheese, grated (or to taste)
- Pre-heat your grill to a high heat.
- Whisk the eggs together.
- Add the milk and seasoning and whisk again.
- In a large frying pan heat up the oil to a medium high heat and fry the courgettes and garlic for about 6 minutes on both sides until cooked through and turning golden.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add the whisked egg mixture.
- As the omelette starts to set run a spatula around the outside and tipping the pan to allow the raw egg to escape over the sides of the omelette to speed up the cooking.
- You can also slide you spatula into the body of the omelette to allow raw egg to reach the bottom of the omelette too.
- Once you have repeated this process to the stage where there are only a few millimetres of raw egg left on top, scatter on the grated cheese.
- Put under the grill and cook until golden and puffed up! (If you're using a non-stick pan that's not suitable for sticking under the grill then just slide the omelette onto a heatproof platter or baking tray).
For some more egg recipe inspiration you might like the following:
Mushroom, Mozzarella & Chive Omelette – Cook Sister
Indian Masala Egg Omelette – Travels for Taste
Mini Baked Yogurt & Spinach Frittatas – Recipes from a Pantry
Chorizi, Spinach, Onion & Potato Frittata – Kavey Eats
Elephant Garlic and Potato Frittata with Smoked Parprika – From the Healthy Heart