In collaboration with British Lion Eggs
Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Frittas & Crispy Bacon
Today I’m bringing you a fabulous breakfast treat of Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Frittas & Crispy Bacon. To celebrate British Egg Week (9 – 15 Oct) British Lion Eggs have teamed up with The Goring Hotel and asked me to put my own twist on one of their 6 egg based breakfasts. These include:
1. The Goring’s Full English breakfast
2. Sunday Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs
3. Classic Eggs Benedict with homemade Hollandaise
4. Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Pancake and crispy Pancetta
5. Eggs en Cocotte with Smoked Haddock, Leek and Chives
6. Fine Herb Omelette with sliced Smoked Salmon
I chose to do my own twist on the Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Pancake and Crispy Pancetta by making the pancakes into frittas with the addition of some red jalapenos, swapped pancetta for streaky bacon and added a grinding of chilli and garlic for an extra flavour kick to the poached eggs along with a chive garnish. Chilli and egg are a match made in heaven as far as I’m concerned! I will be adding my Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Frittas & Crispy Bacon to my weekend breakfast rota as they went down a storm here and they’re so easy to make!
Do you enjoy spending a little longer over making your breakfast at the weekend? If so then you’re not alone, according to independent research 30% of us do! I must admit that do like a lie in on the weekends so breakfast often becomes brunch and it almost always involves eggs. The same survey also revealed that the Full English Breakfast is the nation’s favourite with 42% of us ordering it when out! I do love a Full English Breakfast but I’m someone who can’t face it first thing in the morning so I’ll often make it for dinner instead!
Also ranking within the top three egg dishes to eat at restaurants were Eggs Benedict and Scrambled Eggs and Smoked Salmon. I have to put my hand up now and admit that I have never had Eggs Benedict but I am partial to making scrambled eggs and smoked salmon as a treat. Do you have a favourite egg dish that you like to make for breakfast? Do share it in the comments!
I do hope you try my delicious Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Frittas & Crispy Bacon this weekend! For more yummy egg based breakfasts check out the following:
Potato Rosti Waffles with Poached Egg
Why not pin for later?
NB: Recipe commissioned by British Lion Eggs.
Soft Poached Eggs, Sweetcorn Frittas and Crispy Bacon
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 4 large eggs
- splash of distilled vinegar
- For frittas:
- 1 cob of corn
- 8 pickled red jalepeno slices chopped
- 1 large egg separated
- 1 level tbsp self raising flour
- 15 g butter melted
- rapeseed oil for greasing pan
- few grinds of chilli & garlic dried
- Start by pre-heating the grill and putting a kettle of water on to boil.
- Grill the rashers of streaky bacon on both sides until crispy, then keep in a warm place.
- Meanwhile cut the kernals off the cob of corn.
- Place the kernals in a bowl together with the chopped jalepenos, egg yolk, flour, melted butter, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff and quickly fold into the sweetcorn mixture.
- Grease a non-stick frying or griddle pan and place on a medium to high heat, it’s ready when a drop of water sizzles.
- Spoon the sweetcorn mixture into 4 equal sized heaps and flatten with the back of a spatula.
- Fry the frittas for about 2 minutes until bases are golden and then turn and fry for another 2 minutes or until golden.
- While the frittas are frying put the boiling hot water from the kettle into a small frying pan and fill with enough water to cover the eggs and add a splash of white vinegar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Break the first egg into a ramekin then lower and gently tip into the water and repeat with the rest of the eggs. Time for 3 minutes.
- Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Assemble stacks by placing a fritta on each plate, followed by the streaky bacon, poached egg and garnish with a few grinds of chilli and garlic and strands of chives.
- Serve immediately.