We are big curry fans in our house and one that I make on a regular basis is my mother’s mild Prawn Curry. Cooked with spring onions and mushrooms in a tomato and cream based sauce this really is totally delicious. When I was growing up my mother would serve banana slices along with mango chutney to have accompany our curries, a tradition which I carried on when I left home but had forgotten about until now. I shall be starting up this tradition again as the sweet banana contrasts really well with the curry sauce and it’s a good way of getting in some extra vitamins and minerals!.
Do you have something unusual you like to eat with curry? Do let me know in the comments below!
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 Bunch spring onions
- 225g Chestnut mushroom, sliced
- 300g Cooked peeled prawns
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1 x 400g Tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 150ml Single cream
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and gently fry the spring onions for a few minutes to soften (not brown).
- Add the sliced mushrooms and curry powder and fry until cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to let it simmer and add the prawns and allow to heat through for a few minutes.
- Finally add the single cream and heat through before serving.
- Serve on a bed of basmati rice with your favourite Indian relishes.
Uniformdating.com has partnered with Michelin star chef Michael Caines and created a recipe App for those that work in uniform called Uniform Foodies which is launched today. A national survey was carried out to find the favourite meals of uniformed professionals and the results were:
Nurses – Salad
Police Officer – Fish & Chips
Armed Forces – Indian Curry
Doctor – Fish & Chips
Fire Fighter – Indian Curry
I was challenged to come up with a meal for one of these professions to make and eat during a shift. I immediately thought of this quick and easy prawn curry which would provide enough energy to get them through a shift. The meal had to be healthy, hearty, affordable and delicious. We love this curry and I’m sure a firefighter or member of the armed forces would love it too!
The Uniform Foodies app contains images and recipes of dishes that have been deemed favourites of uniformed professionals.You can follow @UniformFoodies on twitter. The Uniform Foodies app is availabe from The App Store.
As this dish contains healthy mushrooms and spring onions I am entering it into Extra Veg a challenge run by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle from Utterly Scrummy who is hosting this month. I’m also entering it into Tasty Tuesdays which is run by Honest Mum. Finally I’m linking up to Emily’s Recipe of the Week over on A Mummy Too!
Disclosure:This is a sponsored post and all opinions are my own