Banana S’mores are utterly delicious and the perfect dessert to make on the BBQ or whilst camping. If you’re in a hurry you can use the microwave!
After a recent chat with Christina from Christina’s Cucina we got talking about S’mores, a term I have seen crop up so many times on Twitter courtesy of all the American food bloggers I follow.
I always wondered where the word originated from and whether it was a take on the Danish word for butter “smør”.
Well it turns out I was totally wrong and the term stems from the words “some more” Christina informed me! The original S’more is a camp fire snack (popular in America and Canada) and consists of 2 Graham crackers sandwiched together with toasted marshmallow and chocolate – there are many reincarnations of a S’more however!
Being a huge fan of bananas I decided one night to “s’moreify” a couple after a BBQ.
Well I say a couple, I did one and after my daughter saw it she had to have one too and loved it. A week later we had them again when I didn’t have anything planned for dessert and this time I just stuck them under the grill.
This really is one of the easiest yet most delicious puddings you can make in under 10 minutes.
I think Banana S’mores are the ideal dessert for when you’re camping or caravanning and perfect for BBQ’s or cooking over a bonfire.
Once you have removed the slither of banana skin then your kids can have fun decorating the banana with the chocolate and marshmallows (like my daughter did above but remind them the banana is hot)! Then you just let the heat from the banana turn the chocolate and marshmallows into molten gorgeousness!
My daughter enjoyed a bit of extra indulgence by having chocolate ice cream with hers but I find it lush enough on its own.
More quick and simple pudding ideas
- Instant Orange Cheesecakes from Fab Food 4 All
- Instant Skinny Hazelnut Latte Ice Cream from Taming Twins
- Blackberry Cheesecake in a Glass from Cook Sister
- No Churn Dairy Free Vegan Raspberry Ice Cream from Maison Cupcake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake from Elizabeth’s Kitchen
I’m entering my Banana S’mores into a few blog events:
Credit Crunch Munch which I run with Fuss Free Flavours & hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary this month.
No Waste Food Challenge (uses up bananas) run by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary & hosted by I’d Much Rather Bake Than
I’m sure you’ll love this barbecued banana, dark chocolate and marshmallow dessert so do leave a comment and rating below. You can also share your pics with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
- 1 Banana
- 1 handful dark chocolate chopped
- 1 handful mini marshmallows vegan ones if needed
- Grill, BBQ or microwave your banana until black on all sides.
- Once ready put on a plate and make an incision with a sharp knife near to the stalk.
- Peel back and remove one section of banana skin.
- Put a row of marshmallows down the side and scatter the chocolate pieces over the top.
- Allow to melt and serve.
- For extra indulgence you could serve with ice cream but not necessary or for a more authentic experience eat with Graham Crackers or Digestive biscuits!