In association with Rowse Honey
We’ve gone a bit wrap crazy in our house of late so when Rowse Honey got in touch asking if I’d like to develop a superfood breakfast with their Manuka Honey I knew just what I had to make! Breakfast Pinwheel Wraps with Manuka Honey have a layer of cream cheese (soft cheese), rows of sliced banana and walnuts which are finished off with a generous drizzle of Manuka Honey. I can’t tell you what a winning flavour combination this is, my hubby and I loved these wraps, the earthy Manuka Honey compliments the cream cheese, banana and walnut perfectly.
These Breakfast Pinwheel Wraps with Manuka Honey are the perfect healthy start to the day. Bananas contain potassium which aids concentration so if someone in your household is doing exams this would be the perfect breakfast before revising. Walnuts are very nutritious too with their high levels of vitamin E beneficial to heart health plus their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients have been shown to decrease the risk of certain cancers including prostate and breast cancer.
Cream cheese is a great source of calcium which we need for healthy bones and the seeded wraps a good source of fibre. Then of course the Manuka Honey has many known health benefits due to its antibacterial properties and is believed to boost the immune system amongst many other things.
Real Manuka honey comes from New Zealand and is farmed using bees that feed from the nectar of the Manuka tree. All honey has antibacterial activity however Manuka honey has an extra, different type of antibacterial action known as Non-Peroxide Activity (NPA). The antibacterial action is reliant on Methylglyoxal (MGO) which is less affected by heat, light, acidity, moisture and oxygen. This means that its antibacterial properties are far more robust than traditional honey.
So how can you be sure that the Manuka honey that you buy is genuine? It’s been well documented in the media that 6,500 tonnes is reported to be sold worldwide every year and yet only 2,500 to 3,000 tonnes of real Manuka honey is produced in New Zealand annually. I think this has been at the back of my mind when I’ve seen Manuka honey on the shelves of my local supermarket. I’ve wanted to try it out on my daughter for her hayfever and allergies.
So the good news is that Rowse have started a Campaign for Real Manuka Honey as there are currently no guidelines in the UK as to how much MGO Manuka honey should contain so you could be buying very low grade Manuka (or worse) without knowing. Rowse have graded the level of NPA in all their Manuka honey with a +5, +10 or +15 rating so you know exactly what you are getting. The honey is tested twice, first at source New Zealand and then again when it arrives in the UK. Lets hope this testing becomes standard across the industry!
I hope I’ve whet your appetite for my Breakfast Pinwheel Wraps with Manuka Honey and also educated you a little too (I’m a huge food science geek)!
If you’d like more Manuka Honey recipe inspiration check out the following:
- Superfood Porridge with Manuka Honey & Blueberry Compote – Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Spiced Turmeric Milk – Fuss Free Flavours
- Maca Oatmeal with Manuka Honey Seed Shards – Veggie Desserts
- Manuka Honey Glazed Plums with overnight Oats – Thinly Spread
Here are some drinks where you could use Manuka honey:
Why not pin for later!
NB: This is a commissioned post for Rowse Honey and all opinions are my own.
Breakfast Pinwheel Wraps with Manuka Honey
- 1 seeded wrap I use gluten free
- light soft cheese cream cheese, for spreading
- 1 large banana sliced
- 12 walnut halves
- Rowse Manuka honey for drizzling
- Spread a layer of cream cheese over the wrap leaving a gap of about 2cm at either end.
- Start in the middle and lay down a row of banana slices (vertically).
- Then place a row of walnuts either side and finish off with a row of banana slices at either end.
- Use a honey dipper (or teaspoon) to drizzle the Rowse Manuka Honey up and down the rows of banana and walnuts.
- Roll up the wrap, cut into 4 and secure each pinwheel with a cocktail stick if desired.
- Serve the pinwheels drizzled with some more Rowse Manuka Honey.
- Serves 1 - 2 dependent on your appetite.