This is my version of a roast potato coating that can be bought from that supermarket which boasts “not just any……”. Why pay good money for something that costs just a few pennies to make at home I thought and so I came up with this mixture which gives the potatoes a lovely savoury crispy coating. Once you’ve tried these I don’t think you’ll want a plain roast spud ever again!
Bash the potatoes about with the lid on until they look fluffy around the edges.
Crispy Coated Roast Potatoes
- Potatoes peeled and quartered or halved
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 heaped tbsp Semolina
- ¼ tsp Castor Sugar
- ¼ tsp Onion granules
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (or the temp of your roast joint).
- Put the oil in an enamel roasting tray and put in the oven.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Drain the potatoes and shake in the pan vigorously with the lid on until fluffed up.
- Sprinkle the semolina mixture over the potatoes and shake the pan again with the lid on until well coated.
- Put the potatoes in the oiled tray and turn until thoroughly coated.
- Cook for about 45 minutes turning once or twice during cooking.
- Serve with your favourite roast.