We just love Halloween in our house and my son may have got to old to enjoy it but my daughter loves getting dressed up each year and being a creative arty type she really gets into the whole makeover part of it! I don’t dress up (well maybe just a witches hat for when we go trick or treating) but I do go to town dressing up our front bay window like an Aladin’s cave of Halloweenalia. I seem to have bought up every Halloween item you could think of over the years in all the sales so have had to put a stop to my purchases now!
Anyway I’ve been so busy lately I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to fit in a Halloween post which was making me very sad as I’ve done a post or 2 for Halloween every year – but yesterday a bit of ghoulish inspiration hit me and I made this really quick and easy Mummy in a Coffin Pizza with a ciabatta loaf, some pesto, a clove of garlic, some strips of mozzarella and a black olive. It’s so simple that kids of any age can enjoy making it with just some help for the grilling part. I think this pizza would make the perfect centre piece for a Halloween Party or you could even make individual coffins out of ciabatta rolls. We just had this for lunch with some salad but you could slice the pizza sandwiches up quite small for some great finger food!
I wish you a happy and safe Halloween, do be careful where you and your childen stand when you go out trick or treating as naked flames in pumpkins and polyester outfits are a recipe for disaster and my daughter narrowly missed one last year when a neighbour had placed their pumpkin far out on their porch!
Mummy in a Coffin Pizza
- I Ciabatta loaf
- ½ Jar green or red pesto I used basil
- 1 Garlic clove peeled
- 1 Mozzarella ball drained and cut into strips
- 2 Black olive slices
- Start by slicing the ciabatta loaf in half (sideways).
- Place under a grill and toast on both side until just golden.
- Rub the inside of the ciabatta halves with the clove of garlic (gives a lovely flavour).
- Spread a layer of pesto over the bottom half of the ciabatta (the mummy side).
- Place the strips of Mozzarella in a zig zag pattern (quite tightly to fit all the mozzarella) on top of the pesto, don't worry if you need to break bits to fit.
- Add the olive slices at one end for the eyes.
- Put the ciabatta base back under the grill until the cheese has just gone molten (that way the stripes show really well or you can leave it a bit longer like I did for a more rotted corpse look – nice:-)
- Place ciabatta lid back under grill for a 20 seconds each side just to heat up.
- Arrange ciabatta “coffin” lid to be partially covering the “mummy” base and place in centre of your Halloween table.
- To serve place lid on and cut into sandwiches big or small depending on how much other food you are serving (we had just this for lunch which served 4).
- Happy Halloween:-)
If you’re having a Halloween Party here are some more ideas you might like:
Halloween Chocolate Apples – Fab Food 4 All
Kransakage Mummies – Fab Food 4 All
Spooky Spider Fairy Cakes – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Toxic Swamp Halloween Smoothie – Fuss Free Flavours
Halloween Ghost Rice Krispie Pops – Kerry Cooks
Eye Ball Themed Treats & Desserts – Eats Amazing