Easy Halloween Ghost Cupcakes are delicious, chocolate flavoured cupcakes with a hint of coffee, topped with chocolate spread and a white chocolate ghost topper. Easy enough for kids to make with a little adult help.
With Halloween just around the corner it would be rude not to share a spooky themed recipe, so I have conjured up some Easy Halloween Ghost Cupcakes (which I made by adapting my Chocolate Cupcakes)
They are chocolate cupcakes with a dash of coffee as my daughter loves the mocha flavour which just seems to boost the chocolate experience to a new level. But if you feel your younger kids wouldn’t like it then feel free to just use all cocoa!
Easy Halloween Ghost Cupcakes are perfect for kids to make as they’re so easy to prepare and mix together in a bowl. The chocolate ghost toppers just need a little adult help with the melting of the chocolate if your kids are very young.
My ghost piping skills aren’t the best and perhaps resemble Edvard Munch’s ‘The Scream’ more than ghosts so you and your kids can probably do better! My daughter did walk in from school and have a go at piping one and probably could have done a better job had I let her start them off but she had to copy what I’d already done!
We love Halloween here, I have an enormous carrier bag full of Halloween paraphernalia that gets brought out every year to decorate our front window and door. Sadly my daughter is 15 now and too old for Trick or Treating and my son is at university so we’ll just be handing out treats this Halloween!
This year I’ll try my best not to make any trick or treaters cry which I managed last year. A mum with her young son pointed out that he hadn’t said the magic words “Trick or treat” before taking a sweet, so I stupidly said he could try again and put the sweet back in the bowl! Well he got so upset and then I found myself getting really upset that I’d upset him so much. Never again!
More Halloween cupcake ideas
- Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Naturally Green Halloween Cupcakes
- Halloween Cupcakes with Cherry Filling
- Pumpkin & Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
- Halloween Cupcakes – Pumpkin & Cinnamon Flavour
- Batman Cupcakes
A few more Halloween sweet treats from Fab Food 4 All
Pin for later!
I’m sure that you, your family and guests will love these Halloween Cupcakes! Don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media and leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you!
Easy Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
- 85 g Self raising flour
- 25 g Cocoa powder
- 5 g Coffee powder
- 115 g Caster sugar
- 115 g Buttery spread margarine
- 2 large Eggs lightly beaten
- 16 teaspoon Chocolate spread (heaped teaspoons) I used chocolate & hazelnut
- 100 g White chocolate broken into pieces
- 40 g Dark chocolate broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C.
- Line 2 bun trays with 16 cupcake cases.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa and coffee powder into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, buttery spread and beaten eggs.
- Beat with a wooden spoon or large balloon whisk until forms a smooth batter.
- Spoon equal quantities of batter into the cupcake cases.
- Place on middle shelf of oven and bake for 13 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the chocolate ghost toppers by melting the white chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of barely simmering water – a bain-marie. (Don’t let the bowl touch the water and don’t heat for longer than necessary or chocolate can cease).
- Place chocolate into a piping bag with small nozzle (you can easily make one out of grease proof paper and snip end off).
- Pipe ghost shapes onto a sheet of grease proof paper (small enough to fit onto the cupcakes) and place in fridge to set.
- Remove cakes from oven, they’re ready when they spring back to the touch.
- Allow the cupcakes to sit for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Next prepare the eyes and mouth decorations by melting the dark chocolate over a bain-marie.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into a piping bag and pipe eyes and mouths onto the white chocolate ghost shapes.
- Pop back in fridge to set.
- Top each cake with a spoonful of chocolate spread and spread towards the edge.
- Then place a chocolate ghost topper on each cupcake.
- Enjoy! Will keep for 2 days in a cake tin.