In association Welsh Lamb
Welsh Lamb Moussaka Burgers are the perfect quick and easy mid week meal for lovers of Moussaka!
Recently I had the great privilege of being asked by Welsh Lamb to be part of their ‘Llambassador‘ campaign along with some other great chefs and bloggers. I was challenged to come up with a recipe using Welsh Lamb suitable for autumn. My mind immediately wondered to Moussaka with it’s warming notes of cinnamon and allspice but as there are already heaps of recipes for this in existence I decided to come up with something a bit different!
Step up Welsh Lamb Moussaka Burgers, all the flavours of Moussaka but in a quick and convenient burger form, perfect for a midweek family meal. After a day a work not many of us have time to be making the white sauce plus frying and layering all the ingredients for a Moussaka but with these burgers you really can get all the flavour without all the hassle!
So what did my family think of my Welsh Lamb Moussaka burgers? Well they wouldn’t stop praising them and to please every member of my family is no mean feat, I can tell you! These burgers were such a big hit that they are now firmly on the “regular make” list! I do hope you get yourself some fabulous Welsh Lamb and make these burgers as I’m sure your family will love them too!
For more Llambassador recipes from fellow bloggers check out the following:
- Slow Cooker Shoulder of Welsh Lamb with Apricot & Chestnut Stuffing
- Welsh Lamb Steaks Wild Mushroom Sauce & Dill Mash
- Moroccan Lamb Skewers
- Slow Roasted Shoulder of Welsh Lamb with Mint Chimichuri and Pickled Plums
Why not pin for later?
NB: Recipe commissioned by Welsh Lamb and all opinions are my own.
Welsh Lamb Moussaka Burgers
- 500 g minced lamb
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 slices aubergine about 8mm wide
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 slices mature Cheddar
- 4 brioche burger buns
- rocket leaves
- red onion rings
- tomato slices
- Preheat grill to fairly hot (not highest setting).
- Place minced lamb in a bowl along with the tomato paste, onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon, allspice, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Use your hand to mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball and flatten to the size of your burger bun.
- Place burgers on a grill pan lined with foil and grill for about 14 minutes turning occasionally until cooked through.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp of oil in a griddle pan and fry the aubergine slices for about 3 minutes a side until golden and cooked through.
- Place a slice of Cheddar over each burger and grill until cheese melts. You can also add your burger buns to the grill pan if you wish to have them toasted (keep an eye on them)!
- Finally assemble your burger in the bun using the rocket leaves, onion rings, tomato slices, moussaka burger and slice of griddled aubergine.
- Serve with ketchup or tzatziki.
Handy tip: pop the burger mixture into a large round pastry cutter and flatten with with your fingers for the perfect round burger.