Today I decided I wanted to give the family a healthy low fat lunch and spotting a large bag of carrots and some leftover coriander in the fridge it didn’t take me long to decide what to make. I’d been out to the dentist and buying last minute school stationery with my daughter this morning so we didn’t get to eat until 2pm. The wait was worth it though as everyone loved the soup and there were soon 4 empty bowls. It’s nice to know that you’ve given your family something really healthy as it’s easy to get into a rut at lunchtime and eat the same things (my daughter has a thing for scrambled eggs on toast)!
This was my second attempt at making Carrot & Coriander Soup, the first time I made it I’d mistakenly picked up a bag of flat leaf parsley and so my recipe for Carrot & Parsley Soup came about (which was a big hit here too)!
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 20g Butter
- 2 Onions, medium size, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 900 mls chicken or vegetable stock
- 25g Fresh coriander, roughly chopped, including stems + some for garnish
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter over a medium heat then add the onion, celery and garlic.
- Sweat under a lid until tender (stirring occasionally).
- Add the carrots, stock and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, replace lid and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in the coriander.
- Blend the soup (I use a stick blender), adjust the seasoning if necessary and re-heat.
- Serve garnished with some chopped coriander and some crusty bread.
If you’ve become inspired to make carrot soup you might also want to check out these offerings:
Carrot & Parsley Soup from Fab Food 4 All
Curried Bean, Carrot & Coriander Soup from Coffee & Vanilla
Vegan Zesty Carrot and Sweet Potato Coconut Soup from Fuss Free Flavours
Carrot & Cumin Soup from Cook Sister
Spiced Carrot & Red Lentil Soup from Blue Kitchen Bakes
Carrot, Ginger & Quinoa Soup from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Scottish Tattie, Neep & Carrot Soup from Tinned Tomatoes
As this soup is packed full of vegetables and very cheap to make, I am entering it into a few blog events:
Recipe of the Week – hosted by Emily Leary