5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup is a delicious mildly spiced, creamy, curried soup. The spice comes from Tikka Masala spice paste and the creaminess from coconut milk powder. Sure to become your go to quick soup!
My 5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup is the perfect emergency soup as it’s made from ingredients you’ll find in your store cupboard or pantry. I’m sure many of us keep tins of Heinz or Campbell’s soup for days when we’re short on time and just need a quick lunch but what do you do when the cupboard is bare?
Well this happened to me before Christmas. Like Old Mother Hubbard, I went to the cupboard and well, you know the rest of the story. A quick lunch was needed as hubby and I both work from home and were both busy. Hence, I gathered together a bunch of ingredients including a can of chopped tomatoes and threw them into my power blender.
Out came delicious soup that my husband absolutely raved about. Realising not everyone has a power blender I then tried making the soup on the hob and it was just as good. You only need to boil the soup for 1 minute as you’re not so much cooking it as heating it up.
There is no raw garlic in this quick soup as it gives a raw garlic taste which is why I opted for garlic granules. I ended up making this soup about 10 times to get it just right! Note to self, always write down your recipe creations, don’t think “it’s so easy I’ll remember”!
What are the ingredients for 5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup?
There are just 8 ingredients in this super quick tomato soup:
- can of Italian chopped tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- Tikka Masala curry paste
- garlic granules
- coconut milk powder
- vegetable stock cube
How do you make this quick tomato soup?
Making 5 Minute Tomato Soup doesn’t take much longer than heating up a can of soup! Here’s how you make it on the hob:
- Place all the ingredients in a pan.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Blend, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Soup is ready to serve and garnish.
For power blender method see Notes section in recipe!
Can you substitute the red onion for brown onion in this soup?
No, red onion is best as tastes good raw and is slightly sweet in flavour. Brown onion would give an uncooked raw onion flavour to this soup just like the fresh garlic did when I tried that.
Can you add other spices to this vegan soup?
As Nigel Slater says “a recipe is just a starting place”. So, you could change the spice paste to another flavour or experiment by adding other spices. I tried adding ¼ tsp of ginger which made for a more intense heat which hubby liked but I preferred it without for a milder flavour.
How many people does this creamy curried tomato soup serve?
The recipe makes 2 generous servings (we did stretch it to serve 3 when my daughter was home on an inset day)! However, it can easily be doubled or tripled etc to serve more if making on the hob. If you’re making this in a power blender though you should stick with the quantities in the recipe or you’ll have hot soup bursting out of the lid!
Is tomato soup using canned tomatoes nutritious?
Canned and fresh tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and fibre but canned tomatoes contain 3 times the amount of iron and calcium of fresh ones. Canned tomatoes also contain greater amounts of the antioxidant lycopene. So don’t think of canned tomatoes as being inferior to fresh!
Can you make 5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup in a Soup Maker
Yes, it may take a bit longer though! (I don’t own a soup maker anymore since getting my power blender).
What special diets is this tomato soup suitable for?
- This soup is gluten free so also suitable for those suffering from coeliac disease.
More quick vegetable based soup recipes (made in about 20 mins or less)
Here are some more recipe ideas from myself and fellow food bloggers:
- Quick Tom Yum Soup with Poached Egg
- Quick Spinach Soup
- Cream of Asparagus & Celery Soup
- Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup
- Cheat’s Fat Free French Onion Soup
- Courgette Soup with Basil
- Quick & Easy Mushroom Soup (Vegan)
- Easy Rice Noodle Soup
- Clear Bok Choy Soup
- Sick Day Soup
- Cream of Spinach Soup Vegan
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- One Pot Spiralized Zuchini Noodle Miso Soup
I do hope you make my simple and budget friendly 5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup as it’s the perfect quick and tasty lunch! Do share your creations with me on social media tagging @FabFood4All as I love seeing them!
Pin for later!
5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup – spicy & creamy!
- 400 g can Italian chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 2.5 tsp Tikka Masala spice paste
- 3 tbsp coconut milk powder mixed with 150 mls warm water
- 1 vegetable stock cube mixed with 150 mls boiling water
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- Pinch of salt flakes
- Ground pepper
- Grinding of chilli & garlic
- Add all the ingredients to a pan and bring to the boil.
- Time for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend to a smooth consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with chilli & garlic (if using) and serve with warm crusty bread.