Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup is so delicious and far better than tinned soup!
I came up with my Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup after my husband had a yearning for a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup but the cupboard was bare.
Within 20 or so minutes we were eating my home-made version and as nice as Heinz is you can’t beat freshly made soup for taste and nutrients.
Unlike the Heinz version I added carrot, garlic and basil to my soup to give it greater depth of flavour. Hubby’s verdict was that my soup was delicious and I had to agree!
What’s your favourite tinned soup and have you ever tried re-creating it?
I do hope you try my Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup and let me know what you think in the comments below if you do! Better still share your creations with me on social media tagging @FabFood4All.
More Tomato Soup Recipes
- 5 Minute Vegan Tomato Soup – spicy & creamy
- Tomato, Carrot & Dill Soup
- Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup with Basil
- Roasted Tomato, Red Pepper and C Soup
- Easy Carrot & Tomato Soup
- Chunky Gazpacho
Pin for later!
Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- large knob of butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 400 g tin Italian chopped tomatoes
- 350 mls vegetable stock
- 75 mls single cream
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Salt & Pepper
- extra cream to swirl
- extra basil to garnish
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic and sweat under a lid stirring occasionally until softened (about 10 minutes)
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, basil, cream and seasoning.
- Heat through on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Take off the heat and blend with a stick blender.
- Serve with a swirl of cream and a pinch of dried basil.