Yesterday I found myself with a glut of vine tomatoes, peppers and a pack of chorizo. Knowing that I had to go to my son’s school in the evening I decided to make this Roasted Tomato, Red Pepper and Chorizo Soup that I could quickly re-heat. I had tried making a roasted tomato soup before but without stock and it was a let down.
This time I opted for chicken stock to give a bit more back bone and lemon juice and sugar to give a sharp/sweet intensity.
I used Eschalion shallots because I happened to have them but you could use red onions.
Roasting the garlic cloves in their skins prevented them from burning and produced little squishy pods of sweet lusciousness.
I was really pleased with the way my Roasted Tomato, Red Pepper and Chorizo Soup turned out. It’s definitely one to have as part of a main meal and not a starter! There’s a bit of sweet/sour thing going on with a basil back note and then the chunks of pepper, tomato and chorizo are just divine when you hit them!
We had our soup with a big warm crusty loaf and not only was it delicious but filling too! The only person not so keen was my young daughter as she doesn’t like spicy chorizo – but the more you give you children different foods they will eventually learn to eat them so I persevere!
As this tomato soup uses herbs I am entering it into Lavender & Lovage’s Cooking with Herbs event which is being hosted by Lancashire Food this month. I’m also entering it into Ren Behan’s Simple & in Season as tomatoes are definitely in season! Over at Four Seasons Food the theme is red and is being hosted by The Spicy Pear and founded by Eat Your Veg and Delicieux!
The No Waste Food Challenge is next as I used up my tomatoes & peppers and is being hosted by Utterly Scrummy and originates from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary. Finally I’m also entering Extra Veg which is again hosted by Utterly Scrummy who runs it jointly with Fuss Free Flavours.
For more tomato based soup inspiration you might like to check out these recipes!
When you make this soup do leave a comment and rating below. You can also share pic with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin for later!
Roasted Tomato, Red Pepper and Chorizo Soup
- 750 g Vine ripened tomatoes mixed sizes, larger ones quartered
- 130 g Eschalion shallots or red onions
- 1 Red pepper cut into wide strips
- 1 Orange pepper cut into wide strips
- 6 Cloves garlic unpeeled
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 600 mls Chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Soft Light brown sugar
- 25 Fresh basil washed and stalks removed + extra for garnish
- 120 g Chorizo chopped
- Salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 170⁰C.
- Put all the vegetables and whole garlic cloves in a bowl and mix well with the oil and a good seasoning of salt.
- Place on a baking tray and roast for approximately 45mins – 50 mins turning half way through until roasted but not charred.
- Meanwhile fry the chorizo in a drop of oil for a minute or two until crispy – drain and set aside.
- Once the vegetables are roasted remove the garlic, half the peppers and a good handful of the cherry sized tomatoes.
- Cut the pepper strips into chunks and set aside with the reserved cherry tomatoes.
- Put the remaining vegetables and juices in a large saucepan and then cut and squeeze the garlic cloves in there, discarding the skin.
- Add the stock, tomato puree, lemon juice, sugar and seasoning to taste and bring to a simmer.
- Add the basil leaves and blend with a stick blender.
- Return the reserved vegetables and fried chorizo to the pan (holding some back for garnishing), check seasoning and gently heat through before serving.
- Garnish with the reserved vegetables, chorizo and basil.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.