Quick Spinach Soup is a nutritious and delicious soup that can easily be made vegan. Baby spinach, onion, potato and a dash of nutmeg are the main ingredients!
There’s nothing better for lunch when it’s cold, than a hot bowl of soup and with snow forecast and St Patrick’s Day upon us I thought I’d share my Quick Spinach Soup with you!
I love a bargain and last night I got 2 bargain bags of baby spinach which I had intended to make into my Quick Poached Egg & Garlic Spinach Bagel but then hubby said he fancied soup. I decided to keep things simple and opted for adding potatoes, onion and nutmeg.
I wasn’t sure if my Quick Spinach Soup was going to be any good but I needn’t have worried as hubby very quickly gave it his seal of approval! We were soon tucking into our bowls of soup with gusto along with some toast.
This recipe is easily adapted to be vegan by swapping the butter for vegan spread or you could just use come extra oil. Spinach is really nutritious. To gain the maximum amount of iron from it you should serve it with vitamin C rich food like freshly squeezed orange juice.
More Green Vegetable Soups:
- Spinach & Butternut Squash Soup
- Kale Soup
- Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
- Cream of Asparagus & Celery Soup
- Leek & Courgette Soup
- Quick Vegan Green Soup for One
- Quick Courgette and Blue Cheese Soup
- Lettuce Soup
- Nettle Soup
So I highly recommend that you try my Spinach Soup which would go really well with some Irish Soda Bread – Happy St Patrick’s Day!
Pin for later!
Quick Spinach Soup
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 25 g butter or vegan spread
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 small - medium sized potatoes diced
- 400 g baby spinach
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- large pinch of nutmeg
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- grinding of dried chilli & garlic
- Place the oil and butter in a large pan and place over a medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and sweat under a lid until softened stirring occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- Add the diced potato and fry gently for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the stock, spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and then simmer for 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Blend soup with a stick blender, don’t overdo it.
Garnish with a grinding of dried chillies and garlic. and serve with crusty bread.