I didn’t plan to make Spinach & Butternut Squash Soup yesterday as it was my birthday. Hubby offered to take me out for lunch but I knew I had a 1p bag of bargain spinach in the fridge that was in need of using up and after a quick forage I also found half a butternut squash and a lonely leek that also needed using. I just can’t bare to waste food and I think this trait was learned from my mum who having been brought up during the war had huge respect for food.
So after making myself a birthday cake I just threw the soup together thinking that the butternut squash would be a nice change from potato as a thickener. Not only was it a great thickener but the sweetness really complimented the spinach taking away any bitterness and it tasted almost creamy! Going out to eat is great but my soup was so delicious I really didn’t feel like I’d missed out and my son and hubby also enjoyed it. Later that evening I had family over for some fizz, home made cake, cookies and tea and tomorrow I’m going out with some girlfriends to celebrate:-)
I do hope you try my Spinach & Butternut Squash as I will be making this regularly now (I finished it off today and it tasted even better). Next time though I will double the recipe as this made enough for 4 good portions and when soup tastes this good you want lots leftover! If you like spinach and butternut squash soups then you might like to have a look at the following:
Simple Fat Free Spinach Soup – Fab Food 4 All
10 Minute Spinach, Chilli and Fennel Soup – Planet Veggie
Cheesey Broccoli & Spinach Soup – Tinned Tomatoes
Butternut Squash & Kale Soup – Fab Food 4 All
Easy Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon Brittle – Kavey Eats
Butternut Squash, Lemon & Tahini Soup – Fuss Free Flavours
Butternut Squash & Celeriac Soup – Lovely Appetite
Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Lentil Soup – Family Friends Food
Spinach & Butternut Squash Soup - simply delicious!
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 25 g butter or to make vegan use another 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 leek sliced
- 500 g butternut squash about ½ a squash
- 800 mls vegetable or chicken stock
- 240 g bag baby leaf spinach
- freshly ground pepper
- onion salad crispies
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, leek and garlic and soften for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the butternut squash and fry for another 5 minutes (or until onions and leeks softened), stirring again.
- Add the stock and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes under a lid.
- Add the spinach leaves, replace the lid and allow to wilt (about 5 minutes).
- Blend the soup and serve garnished with onion salad crispies.
Why not pin for later!