Finding myself with a couple of bags of bargain kale recently I made this Butternut Squash and Kale Soup as well as well as some experimental kale crisps (a work in progress) which I used as a garnish!
This is my second soup using kale and I have to say it worked really well blended with butternut squash which as a sweet vegetable counteracts the more bitter kale. My family loved this soup so this is definitely one I’ll be making again. As we head into summer I like to serve soup in the evenings with a spread of cold food; as you can prepare the soup in advance it makes life much easier. It’s also a great way of ensuring your kids are eating enough vegetables as they might turn their nose up at a pile of kale on their plate but blended into a soup it makes it far more palatable.
More Recipes which use Butternut Squash or Kale
- Kale Soup – Fab Food 4 All
- Spicy Butternut Squash Soup – Gingey Bites
- Carrot, Butternut & Ginger Soup – From the Healthy Heart
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup – Family Friends Food
- Rich & Creamy Zuppa Toscana – Kitchen Sanctuary
- Asian Kale, Noodle and Coconut Broth – Foodie Quine
I’m sure you’ll love this Butternut Squash & Kale Soup so do leave a comment and rating below when you’ve made it! You can also share a picture with me by tagging @FabFood4All on Instagram!
Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 550 g butternut squash diced
- 200 g kale chopped
- 1 L vegetable stock
- freshly ground pepper
- kale crisps
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and butternut squash then sweat under a lid for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (until onions softened).
- Add the kale and wilt under the lid for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and ground pepper bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend soup until smooth, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with kale crisps (if using) and serve with crusty bread.