In association with Iceland
It’s always tempting fate to say it’s barbecue season because as we all know the British weather has a mind of its own and we can several different seasons of weather thrown at us in just the space of a week. One thing that is certain however is being able to pick up some great BBQ essentials from Iceland! For their #PowerofFrozen campaign I was challenged to come up with a recipe to highlight their BBQ range. So after a bit of tinkering in the kitchen to get it just right I am delighted to bring you my Best Ever Chunky BBQ Relish.
My family loved this relish which is perfect on burgers, with chicken, pork you name it! It has a hint of sweet and sour going on plus a hint of chilli but not so much that kids would take a dislike to it. Best of all you can make it with ready prepared onions, peppers and garlic from Iceland so it’s no effort at all. While your meat is cooking on the BBQ (man’s work, delegated to my son now) you can be preparing this Best Ever Chunky BBQ Relish to serve warm once ready. I even picked up Instant Light Lumpwood Charcoal in Iceland which meant, no firelighters and no fuss so all we needed was needed was a match – brilliant!
So what BBQ foods did we sample I hear you ask in eager anticipation? (OK I’m building my part here, just go with it, must be the excitement of our first BBQ of the year)! Well we had 6 oz Angus Burgers (plus burger buns), Pork Sausage Wheels, Mini Meaty Pork Rib Racks and Chicken and Chorizo Kebabs which were all really tasty and top quality. All the meat was cooked from frozen either soley on the BBQ (burgers) or cooked conventionally and then finished off on the barbecue. I do like to over cater when doing a barbecue because then you don’t have to lift a finger the following day and can just eat all the leftovers. Plus my Best Ever Chunky BBQ Relish is just as good cold!
I do hope you pop into Iceland and check out their extensive BBQ range which is so convenient to have on standby for an impromptu BBQ. For more outdoor #PowerofFrozen inspiration you might like to check out these recipes from fellow bloggers which I’ll be adding as they get published:
BBQ Waffle S’mores – Foodie Quine
Sweetcorn & Pepper Burger Relish – A Glug of Oil
Quinoa, Bean and Artichoke Salad – Food to Glow
Easy Summer Menu for 6 in under 30 Minutes – Maison Cupcake
Spinach & Pea Burgers – Veggie Desserts
Best Ever Chunky BBQ Relish
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp Darégal Le+ Taste garlic
- 160 g Iceland ready to cook diced onions
- 250 g Iceland quick cook sliced mixed peppers
- 1 large red chilli finely chopped with half the seeds (use all if you like extra heat)
- 4 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 8 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp American style hot dog mustard
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp clementine juice
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- Start by putting the sliced peppers on a board and roughly chop them into small dice.
- Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the diced peppers and chilli and continue frying for about another 7 minutes (until both softened but not coloured).
- Add the sugar, ketchup, mustard, lime juice, clementine juice and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer under a lid for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm (or cold if you wish) with burgers or any barbecued meats.
- Keep any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for a few days or freeze the rest.
These 3 simple ingredients formed the base of my Best Ever Chunky BBQ Relish!
I’m entering this post into Eating Al Fresco!
NB: This is a commissioned post for Iceland and all views are my own.