Banoreo Cheesecake is one of the best no bake cheesecakes I’ve ever tasted! A buttery Oreo biscuit base is topped with sliced bananas, cream cheese, double cream, vanilla and more Oreos!
Today I’m bringing you a vegetarian Banoreo Cheesecake or Banana & Oreo Cheesecake (it was a toss up for the name)! There’s a bit of a story attached as to how it came about!
My daughter became a vegetarian recently so not all the recipes she’s given for Food Tech at school are suitable for her. A case in point was a recent cheesecake they had to make with gelatine. As you can’t simply substitute gelatine for a vegetarian version it wasn’t a straightforward exercise and the cheesecake had to involve fruit too.
I decided to help my daughter out and started out by asking fellow blogger friends if they had a suitable cheesecake but this proved fruitless. Someone did suggest looking at the Dr Oetker website who make Vege Gel which is a vegetarian alternative to gelatine. However, there were no cheesecakes on there using it much to my disappointment.
This wasn’t going to be a 5 minute job I realised. I then trawled the internet for fruity, gel containing vegetarian cheesecakes and couldn’t see a recipe that I was confident enough in to send my daughter off to school with without making it first myself. Eating 16 portions of cheesecake over 2 days was not an option!
So after a lot of research on how vege gel works I set about creating my own recipe which was inspired by Oreo Cheesecake and Banoffee Pie. I thought the 2 flavours would work really well together and boy did they and then some!
My daughter brought her Banoreo Cheesecake home from school that day and I barely had time to upload it to instagram before she was tucking in and “oohing” and “aahing” over it. “This is really good” she exclaimed, I was so happy, as it turned out just as I’d imagined and perhaps even better! Hubby and I also tucked in and as it was so delicious I knew I had to share it with you!
I was very pleased that my 2 hours of research didn’t go to waste so last week I recreated my Banoreo Cheesecake just for you (it was a tough job to eat it again but hey someone had to do it:-)
The eagle eyed amongst you might notice that the rim of the Banoreo Cheesecake looks a bit thin, that’s what happens when you put away your loose bottomed tin with the base in upside down! So make sure you have yours the right way up and then you’ll have a nice deep edge!
More no-bake vegetarian cheesecake recipes:
- Easy No Bake Salted Caramel Cheesecake
- Deep Strawberry Cheesecake
- No Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Mousse
- N0-Bake Jammie Dodger Cheesecake
- No-Bake Biscoff Cheesecake
- No-Bake White Chocolate & Raspberry Cheesecake
- The Ultimate No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Instant Orange Cheesecakes
I’m sure you’ll love my Banoreo Cheesecake which I would be great for the a dinner party festive period or Thanksgiving! If you make it do share with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin for later!
- 200 g Oreos
- 60 g Unsalted butter
- 2 – 3 bananas sliced
- 200 mls double cream
- 1 sachet Vege Gel
- 400 g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g caster sugar
- 50 g Oreos broken
- 50 g Oreos to decorate broken
- Line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Place 200g of Oreos in 2 plastic food bags and smash with a rolling pin to form crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a gentle heat, then stir in the Oreo crumbs.
- Pour the crumb mix into the tin and flatten down evenly.
- Spread the banana slices over the base.
- Whip the cream with a whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- Make up the vege gel by sprinking onto 200 mls of cold water and mixing (dispersing any lumps with a fork, or sieve) then bring to the boil in a pan.
- Set aside to cool for 5 mins.
- Place the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix well, then mix in the cream.
- Pour in the vege gel and beat with a large whisk until thoroughly mixed in.
- Fold in the broken Oreos.
- Pour mixture onto biscuit base and smooth out with a spatula.
- Cool in fridge for a minimum of 3 hrs to set.
- Once set decorate cheesecake with broken Oreos.
- Best eaten on the same day.