Cheat’s Low Fat Peach Galette
I’m very excited to bring you my Cheat’s Low Fat Peach Galette today. It’s something I’ve been working on and is now ready to share. I know a Galette should be round and I did think of inventing a new name for this like a Strudette ie a cross with a strudel but this really is a Galette but for the oblong shape.
I’m always one for taking shortcuts which don’t compromise on taste or quality. So using a sheet of pre-rolled puff pastry that you just fold over the fruit seems like the perfect cheat to me!
We all like good tasty food but getting out flour and a rolling pin when you’re pushed for time is just going to prevent you from making a traditional Peach Galette so that’s where my Cheat’s Low Fat Peach Galette wins hands down. It’s so simple even you kids could make it with minimal help!
My whole family loved this Cheat’s Low Fat Peach Galette and although I’ve never made a traditional one from scratch before I’m sure it compares very well! So if like me you’re pushed for time but like a nice home made pudding then I hope you try it! Plus there are so many bargain peaches out there at the moment, there’s no excuse not to make it really!
In a bid to make this Cheat’s Low Fat Peach Galette lower in fat I used light puff pastry and instead of dotting the peaches with knobs of butter before baking I just rubbed the peaches with butter after baking, you could alternatively use low fat spread. If you don’t need a low fat recipe you could just use normal puff pastry and dot the peaches with small knobs of butter before you bake the Galette for a richer pudding.
For more peach pudding inspiration you might like:
Peach, Tea & White Chocolate Traybake – Fab Food 4 All
Peach & Bramble Meringue Slice – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Gluten Free Peach & Cherry Crumble – Easy Peasy Foodie
Flat Peach Tarte Tatin – Kavey Eats
Peach Melba Sherry Trifle – Lavender & Lovage
Summery Nectarine & Lime Gake – Babaduck
Why not pin for later
Cheat's Low Fat Peach Galette
- 4 large ripe peaches or nectarines
- 1 sheet of pre-rolled light puff pastry 375g
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 large knob of salted butter or low fat spread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash and stone the peaches, cutting each into 8 slices.
- Place the nectarines into a mixing bowl along with the cornflour, caster sugar and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Grease a baking tray and unroll the puff pastry onto it.
- Pile the nectarines into the middle (in a rectangle) leaving about a 6cm border of pastry all the way round.
- Fold the sides of the pastry up towards the middle (working your way round in sequence).
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle on the Demerara sugar.
- Bake on the middle shelf of oven for 30 mins or until pastry is golden brown and baked through. (Turning towards the end is a good idea for an even bake).
- Once the Peach Galette is ready, remove from oven and place on a serving dish.
- Place a knob of butter on the end of a fork and rub over the exposed peach slices to form a glossy finish.
- Serve warm slices with ice cream.