The great thing about growing older is the fact that you have an abundance of food memories and every now and then you can dig one out and relive it. One such food memory for me is this Curried Egg Mayonnaise with Ham & Sweetcorn Jacket Potato.
When I was a teen there used to be a lovely eatery in Guildford called The Danish Kitchen (correct me if I’m wrong) and I’d often go there with my family for lunch. As well as the usual Danish open sandwiches (smørrebrød) they also had a counter serving jacket potatoes and this was my favourite filling.
I’ve made it a few times over the years but it’s been many many years since I last made this and it suddenly popped into my head the other day when I wanted something quick, delicious and easy to make for dinner. With summer here I want to eat more salad based meals and this fits in perfectly.
To makes things easy for yourself just boil up the eggs the night before and pop in the fridge ready to make up the filling the next day. If you find yourself short of time for baking the potatoes I’ll sometimes cheat and start them off in the microwave and then give them a blast in the oven to get that crispy skin that is oh so delicious.
What’s your favourite jacket potato filling? Do let me know in the comments below!
BREAKING NEWS 20/07/15
My Curried Egg Mayonnaise seems to be getting it’s own little fan club with Eamonn Holmes favouriting my tweet the other night and tonight the lovely Josie Gibson said this:
That looks incredible xx
— Josie Gibson (@Josiestweet) July 20, 2015
More Jacket Potato ideas
I asked some fellow bloggers for their favourite jacket potato fillings and recipes and here’s what they came up with:
- Minced Beef & Onions
- Baked Sweet Potato with Spiced Butter
- Peanut Butter Gravy
- Baked Potato Recipes
- Spicy Tuna Jacket Potatoes
As this Curried Egg Mayonnaise with Ham & Sweetcorn Jacket Potato is so frugal I’m entering it into Credit Crunch Munch which I run with Fuss Free Flavours and is this month hosted by Jen’s Food. I’m also entering Belleau Kitchen’s Simply Eggcellent challenge.
Curried Egg Mayonnaise with Ham & Sweetcorn Jacket Potatoes
- 8 Eggs hard boiled and cooled
- 125 g Mayonnaise
- 4 Slices of ham chopped
- 1 165g Tin of Sweetcorn drained
- 1 tsp Mild Curry Powder
- 4 - 5 Baking potatoes large
- Knobs of butter
- Dusting of Cayenne Pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut a cross into the top of each potato with a knife, place on a baking tray and bake for 1 – ½ hrs depending on the size of the potato.
- Chop the eggs using an egg slicer to slice in one direction and then turn the egg 90° to slice in the other direction and place in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, chopped ham, sweetcorn and curry powder and mix well.
- Place in the fridge until the potatoes are ready.
- Once the potatoes are ready, pinch the sides in (with clean oven gloves) to open up the potatoes and add a couple of knobs of butter to each.
- Spoon on the curried egg mayonnaise, dust with cayenne if wanted and serve with a salad.
- Any leftovers can be used up in sandwiches the next day.