Having felt completely run down with chronic hay fever lately (I think this is the worst year I can remember) my get up and go has been somewhat flagging. So yesterday I looked around the kitchen for something to pick me up and spotted a bag of organic Cacao Powder I’d been sent. I have never used cacao powder before but in a nutshell it’s a less processed form of cocoa powder and is great source of antioxidants and minerals, notably magnesium.
After a rake around my cupboards I decided to keep things dead simple and start my foray into the world of cacao powder with Banana & Cacao Milkshake. We seem to have gone milkshake mad lately in our house since my Strawberry & Coconut Milkshake which we’ll often have as a dessert. I whizzed up the ingredients and I have to say I loved the cacao flavour which was intensely chocolatey but somehow fresher tasting and the bitterness was offset by the sweetness of the banana and the vanilla ice cream. After sharing this milkshake with hubby I had the energy to pick up my daughter from school, do a quick shop, put a quick tea on the table and go back out to daughter’s school fair! So as a pick me up I think my Banana & Cacoa Milkshake ticked all the boxes and I’ll definitely be making this again!
Banana & Cacao Milkshake
- 1 Banana
- 130 mls Semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp Organic cacao powder
- 90 g Premium quality vanilla ice cream
- Cacao nibs for decoration optional
- Break up the banana and put all the ingredients into a blender (or use a stick blender and beaker) and whiz up until smooth. If you prefer a thinner shake just add a little more milk.
- Pour into 1 large or 2 small glasses and decorate with cacao nibs if desired.
For more ideas of how to use Cacao you might like to check out these recipes: